close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Governor Declares Open Season on Sportsmen’s Dollars

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by striperwiper, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Guys, I don't want to start a political controversy but I received this e-mail today from the U.S. Sportsmans Alliance. I have not had time to check it out or verify any of it, but I thought it was important enough to put out there to start the ball rolling on it.

"(Columbus) – With the stroke of his veto pen, Gov. Bob Taft has extended an open invitation for the government to steal sportsmen’s money.

Among a string of items deleted from the budget presented by the legislature, Gov. Taft struck language that protected sportsmen’s dollars from being used for non-wildlife purposes.

Ohio sportsmen had worked with state legislators for months to ensure that the Ohio budget would feature protection from diversion of hunting and fishing license fee dollars to pay for under-funded agencies of government.

The government claims the veto will result in an annual charge of $800,000 from sportsmen. The truth is there is no limit to how much can be diverted to other agencies. Tens of millions of dollars derived from hunting and fishing licenses and taxes on sporting goods are at stake. If those funds are stolen, license fees will rise and fish and wildlife conservation programs will suffer.

Economically, Ohio has benefited by protecting hunters’ dollars. Hunting brings $1.5 billion to the state, annually. Ohio ranks sixth in the nation in dollars produced by hunting.

In the past, lawmakers and administrations protected this investment by ensuring that sportsmen’s dollars could only be used for fish and wildlife conservation programs.

For the first time in Ohio history, citizens will be forced to trust the government to restrain itself from raiding the fund that purchases and maintains wildlife habitat, manages fish and wildlife and provides recreation for millions of people.

Such restraint is unlikely according to the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA).

“Government has consistently been unable to manage money effectively,” said Rob Sexton, vice president for government affairs with USSA. “The governor’s action puts the fox in the hen house, trusting that it will only eat a couple of the chickens.”

Sexton said that Ohio sportsmen are likely to call on legislators to override the veto.

“Our telephones have been ringing since the news broke,” he said. “We’re telling people that the only way to save the stolen money is to call their legislators and ask them to restore the money Governor Taft has taken from them and the wildlife resources of our state.”

Take Action! The only way that the problem will be fixed is for Ohio sportsmen to ask their representatives and senators to override Gov. Taft’s line item veto. They should let legislators know that sportsmen’s dollars should be used solely to fund the conservation programs for which they are intended. To identify and contact legislators, call (800) 282-0253.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance protects the rights of hunters, anglers and trappers nationally in the courts, legislatures, at the ballot, in Congress and through public education programs. For more information about the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and its work, call (614) 888-4868 or visit its website, www.ussportsmen.org."

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Reposted, as this is relevant to all of us as sportsman.

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Political discussion that directly affects sportsmen is welcome here,and in fact its encouraged.

4. If thats the way it is going to be, then I will just stop buying my fishing license and fish ilegally and not give them my money. I have way tomany places I can get by with fishing without a license for me to keep buying them just to have the money go somewhere else besides where it is meant to go. Screw Taft and anybody else trying to take our money and use it for other things besides what it is meant for.

5. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

taft has done nothing but run our state into the ground and is continuing to do so.taking the sportsmens $$$$$ is just another one of his underhanded deeds.there's more corruption coming from the statehouse than i've ever seen.coingate,ethics violations,the school funding fiasco,etc are just some examples of what he'll be remembered for.
    it's time for all of us to get in touch with our reps and tell them how much we disapprove of this.
    if taft is a govenor then i'm the pope!

6. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

[ if taft is a govenor then i'm the pope![/QUOTE]

Thanks Jeff, that pretty much sums it up.

7. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

dale,there was ALOT more that i wanted to say but i've never been the cause of a thread being locked and didn't want start now! :D

8. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Believe me I could too, but I'd have to deleate my own post! :D

9. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

They are crying about shortages, and lost funds, then they say they discovered a windfall. Of course that's not going to be returned, but they may lower sales taxes?? They are going to lose on trying to steal money from sportsmen & women. Call those numbers and raise hell (can I say hell??)

10. Is it taft or tax? And to think he was elected to a second term.

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Where the heck is Robin Hood so we can steal it back from the goverment.

We need to dump Taft and about 4 other guys in Ohio.

<><Baitkiller><>

12. This is enough to make you want to cuss ... but I won't. Not here anyway. I sure hope there's a way we can fight this.

13. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

There has been only one person who has seemed to benefit from Governor Shafts administration. :rolleyes:

He almost had the Ohio Tea party when he planned to charge us to park vehicles in State Parks we already pay taxes to maintain.

He was able to let that go cause he knew he could charge as much tax as he wants on cigarettes to balance his State budget.

14. Stick a fork in him...he's done after this term. There are plenty more folks than just the sportsman that want to see that happen.

15. I hope everyone has spread the word on this bs, and contacted their state rep--is that why they raised the fees the last time??

16. Thank god I quit smoking about 6 years ago. So he can raise taxes on cigarettes as much as he wants as far as I am concerned and leave our wildlife money alone. Maybe that will make alot more people stop smoking. Which would help improve our air. Either that or they will go broke or at the least not be able to have as much fun as they once did because of spending more money on cancer sticks.