close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gotta vent

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by flathunter, Jun 27, 2004.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Man, I went to one of my favorite spots on paint creek this evening..As I was heading in a guy was leaving and he had 7 flatheads with him, none were over 2-lbs..He called them a bunch of eater fish..And had the nerve to complain that he was not catching any big flats this year...No freaking wonder, he drags them out of the water before they get a chance to grow up :mad:

2. Or they just don't care. Hope there's something left for our grandchilds. Numbnutts :mad:

Sliprig

3. catking

catking Banned

People can keep fish to eat, that's not a problem. But baby flatheads??? That is B.S no matter what type of fish you like to spend your time going after. Did this guy also have a flat head :rolleyes: This type of cave man thinking makes me sick.. CATKING

4. traphunter

traphunter Guest

If it was at the spillway that happens all the time :mad: I seen a guy keeping a bunch of 8 inch channel cats, so I went up and asked him if they were even big enough to eat, his reply was no, but he would fell stupid walking out with nothing on the stringer, he said he usually just throws them in the garbage when he gets home. :mad: :eek: I was tempted to say somthing else but I just kept walking.

I know we sighned the petition for catfish and all that stuff but is there ANYTHING else we can do to get some limits around here? I usually keep the bigger fish I catch at the spillway myself, but I dont eat them, I take them and put them in my pond. I figure Im just saving them from all the meathunters there. I have tried to catch big flatheads here but I have never got any, I know im not the best fisherman, but I can blame it on the people that keep them!!! :mad:

5. catking

catking Banned

Until things like this effect the States pockets, nothing will be done :( There has to be limits and size limits on ALL fish,if not, when our population doubles in the next 25 years or so, there won't be any freakin fish left. Think about it, I've said this before, when I was younger, there was HALF the people we have now. HALF. No wonder fishing " SEEMED" better in those days, it probably was ;) THE CATKING !!!

6. flathunter

What I have witnessed fishing paintcreek spillway this year just makes me sick, and it is all 100 percent legal

7. It's happening everywhere. Before long we will be left with lakes full of bluegill, and not much else.

8. Sounds like the same old story...
    The carpers seem to be on the right track but when it comes to catfish... :(

9. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Naw, they done fished the gills out too.

10. What we need to do is group together and form a band of catfishing brothers that over time would have a direct appeal to those in charge to get something done :mad:

I have made a template website that was a small start and DavidWS10 was looking into what it takes to go non-profit...
    The website template is here:
    http://www.geocities.com/beardbuster2k/cats.htm

I just wish we woul do something :(

11. flathunter

I just got back from paint spillway agin..I have been forced to fish this place because I have been told not to come back to my other river holes, why? Because a few people decided they want to party and trash peoples land so everybody suffers..So most of this year it has been public places like the spillway..And really I cant take much more..Everytime I come home from fishing this meathunter hole I am in a very bady mood..Agin today I saw a basket full of baby flatheads and channel cat, largest maybe 12 inches long..I saw baskets full of 5-6 inch Bluegills, and 6-8 inch saugeye..Why in the world do people do this? Why does the dnr do nothing about it?..When I go fishing I fish for big fish, be it cat, carp, bass etc..These fish do not even have a chnce to gain a respectable size before these people take them out..And I know alot if not most of these fish are not being cleaned and ate to small for that!.They are being thrown away! AND the types of people that are doing this "seem" do be of very little character and class..When I went up there yesterday, the smell of pot was heavy in the air, and I was greated by a bunch of drunks catching baby flatheads...I could say alot more but I better stop before I get in trouble on hear..If we do nothing, in about 10 years we can toss our rods and reels in the shed and forget about them because there wont be any fish left!

12. flathunter

Clyde I really appreaciate your interest in this I do..But guess what, you are not going to get enough catfishermen who love this sport together to do anything about it..We are going to do nothing untill it is to late, and I know we can all see this time is approaching in the not to distant future...I tell you what I would be willing to do, that is give up catfishing for one year, and devote the time I would be fishing to this cause..That is only if enough others join in also..But agin it wont happen.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I think we'll all be battling for spots @ the nearest pay lakes soon.-And I'm not kidding.

14. flathunter

And this is only one place, Like spike said it is happening all over!

15. I think if something is going to be done it will start small... can't start BIG off jump street...
    There are catfish tournaments where new members can be found is one way to start simple...
    We don't need to be non-profit but it would be a better fit in the long run...

Hey flathunter to get permission to fish places others can't do as I did for hunting and simply ask to help work around their land so they can get to know oyu 1st before they let you in (short version) ;)

When I ran my hunting guide service I had over 28,000 acres available simply by word of mouth form farmer to farmer to land owner :D

16. flathunter

Clyde nothing seems to work around here, Most if not all farmers and land owners dont want people on there land, I cant blame them....The last time I tried to gain access to do some river fishing the farmer wanted 700 bucks a year for me to drive down this dirt rd to access the river..Sad thing is if I had it I would have paid it.

17. I went thru alot of that "$$$" stuff too :(
    Ever think of starting a "catfish club" ??
    It has worked for hunting in areas where access to land was not available...

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Hey Jack, hell I'd be willing to pitch in some $ for some fishign land. I like the idea of a cat club.

19. I feel for ya buddy. I'm lucky to live near the Ohio River. The netters are ruining some areas, but if your willing to drive you can find places with less pressure. The waterfowl hunting going the same way. About ready to hangup my calls and sell the decoys.

Flatheads forever, paylakes never

Sliprig

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  20. flathunter

Bryan, I only know of one piece of land that is for sale on the scioto, but it gives you access to the best hole I have ever fished bar none. I have not fished it in over a decade but I used to pull many big flats out of it, it has been off limits since the current owner bought it. Even has a metal building for a boat and easy boat launching, great bank fishing as you can reach a 40ft hole from the shore. HOWEVER, they want 10 grand I think for the 3 acre strip of land..To steep for a poor man like me!