close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gotta have the paddle leash.....

Discussion in 'Canoes & Kayaks' started by crittergitter, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:14 AM.

1. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Bwahahahaha!

So, I was breezing through Field and Stream the other day and wandered into the kayak, canoe, paddle board section. A young lady was sitting in a kayak with a paddle and a sales associate was tending to her questions and concerns. There were 3 or 4 other sales associates looking like they wish they had something to do. The young lady asks if she needs a paddle leash. The guy with her had a deer in the headlights look (as though he'd never even heard that question before). So, one of the teenagers who had been hoping for something to trigger his relevance rushed in with a resounding, "Oh yes, I strongly suggest it for all my customers! It's a necessity!" He then went on to explain all the various situations where it was critical to have it. I was thinking, "I'm busy fishing while on moving water, and have NEVER felt the need for one."

I almost interjected, but ultimately, I just shrugged and recognized that this was not my pie. So, I let them conduct their business. It just made me laugh, and I wanted to share it here.

2. Lol I seen the same anxious sales men yesterday.... They swarmed me as soon as I got into the soft plastics section... then when I asked if they had such in such in stocked they looked at me like I was crazy,and said no,without even knowing/asking what I was looking for. Sales men left me alone,3 minutes of looking. I found what I needed.lol

The rate occasion in in my kayak on really windy days I wish I had a paddle holder. But that's the only time.......

3. In water with a strong current, a paddle leash is considered a recipe for drowning.

4. AtticaFish

AtticaFish Jiggin Freak

Never lost mine either! Gotta make that sale...... what, about $4? haha

I did have to retrieve one for 3 teenage girls who were paddling just outside of a swim area at a state park once. They created a floating barge with the paddle-less girl in the middle. I swam it out to them. By the time i got back to the beach, they were all squawking again because this time one of them was out of their sit-in yak, yak upside down and she was trying to GET IN another girls sit-in yak. She could swim OK but was holding her life jacket instead of wearing it....? Ugh. I swam out again and helped them get it in to shallow water, get the water out and them on their way. This time when i got back to the beach i was about dead myself from treading water so long. I could already hear them screeching and laughing again........ i grabbed my boy and my towel and we went back the the campsite with out ever looking over my shoulder.

I guess my point is that maybe you would want one if you plan to let young kids paddle on their own.

5. Reel Magic

Reel Magic hard water/kayak

I wouldn't go on the open ocean without a paddle lanyard.

Snakecharmer likes this.
  6. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I'm pretty sure this old gal wasn't taking this little pelican out on Erie or the ocean. lol

8. Ya' don't wanna be ,"up a creek without a paddle".

Snakecharmer likes this.
  9. 9Left

9Left

ehhh... i've kayaked for years and never felt the need for a leash.. I,ve even dropped the paddle or knocked it overboard a few times... i just pick it up.... lol

Saugeyefisher and crittergitter like this.
  10. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

When I lead trips I have a extra paddle on my deck. Never used a leash. Just now geting into offshore kayaking. I will have to ask at work if anyone uses one. I haven't seen any.