Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen any of these before - would like a little help with identification. I'm really confused about the one that says DuPont Lorox. I've never seen anything like the one with the four treble hooks, and the one with the two little Colorado blades is very unusual. Can anyone give me any information about these? Thanks!

IMG_1024.jpeg IMG_1025.jpeg IMG_1021.jpeg IMG_1022.jpeg IMG_1023.jpeg

·
Registered
509 Posts
My dad used to use one very similar to the orange with black dots. It had single treble front and dual trebles in rear. He called it a flatfish. Also had a yellow one with red dots. Hopefully someone will know the specifics. Cool finds.

Kip

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Years back it was the go to trolling lure behind bottom bouncer’s for walleye,it’s called a flatfish. They came in different sizes . I have probably between 50 to 100 of them that are 1 1/2”-4” long. Another one that’s similar is called a Kwickfish that is still in use for salmon and steelhead river fishing across the USA and Canada. Good find.

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
Years back it was the go to trolling lure behind bottom bouncer’s for walleye,it’s called a flatfish. They came in different sizes . I have probably between 50 to 100 of them that are 1 1/2”-4” long. Another one that’s similar is called a Kwickfish that is still in use for salmon and steelhead river fishing across the USA and Canada. Good find.
Joe nailed it!

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
There are still a couple companies that make flatfish lures. At least the first two appear to be fairly "recent".

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The "DUPONT LOROX" is an advertising lure, probably made for DUPONT by Paw Paw bait company of Michigan. They made a number of Flatfish style baits, as did other companies. John

·
Registered
16,816 Posts
Just a FYI, the flatfish with the 4 trebles is illegal to use in Ohio. Only 3 trebles are allowed. Flatfish were originally made by Charles Helin. They are now made by Yakima Bait.

The lure with the spinners is cool. Never seen one like that.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
There are several companies that still make what they call "flatfish". I guess no one ever patented the name? Wordens, Yakima, and Wigstons all have their own version of the flatfish. There are also look a likes, like the Lazy Ike and Kwikfish. They all look pretty similar.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys, that's really helpful! Along with those 3, I got 6 other more common ones. I don't fish anymore, but I had to get them because those 3 are so unusual. Thanks for helping me learn more about them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts