close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got skunked!!! HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Parrothead Jim, Sep 18, 2004.

1. I let my black lab out the other night about 1AM to do his thing before going to bed. He was out ther longer than normal so I went out on the back deck to call the dog in the house. I see the dog running around like a wild dog and runs right in the house. After he went by me I knew why .He got SKUNKED!!! The dog proceeded to run wild throughout the house jumping and rolling on every piece of furniture and rugs he could find. I had to grab the dog by the back of the neck, trying to hold my breath, and drag him back outside to try to get the stink off him. Just what I needed at 1AM in the morning. The smell is in all the furniture and rugs to where you cannot stand to be in the house for a long period of time. I need your help guys. What can I use to take the smell out of the furniture and rugs before my family moves out on me???? HELP :eek: :eek: :eek: .....JIM

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Same thing happened to me awile back..Use baking soda that is what I did, and alot of spray air freshners..It will get bettter in time!

3. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

If you haven't already, you can bathe the dog in tomato juice to get the smell off of him. As for the furniture and stuff, try what Jack said. And if that doesn't work completely, rent a rug and upholstery steam cleaner and use a deodorized cleaning solvent for it. And then use lots of Febreeze on everything. Good luck!!!!!

4. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Oh gosh! How terrible! I know, because I had a similar experience with my dog, and wouldnt you know it... very late at night too :eek:
    I initially bathed him in tomato juice, because I had remembered hearing that that would neutralize the odor. It did just an OK job.
    The next day I went to Pet Supplies Plus where they carry a product specially made for skunked pets. It was so long ago, that I dont remember the name. It might be worth giving them a call to see if they still carry it. If they dont, then maybe you might call your vet? Or a local groomer? I'm sure you would be able to get some good information from those sources.
    Good luck to you! (and your dog)
    Marcia

5. Thanks for all the quick replys. Just took the dog to the groomers and rented one of those carpet and furniture steam cleaners. I washed him up a couple of times but he still has a strong odor. I think he is geting it from laying on the carpet. I am going to leave him there for a couple of days till I can work on the carpet and furniture. Thank God its nice and cool outside and I can leave all the windows open. After all said and done it seems kind of funny now. I wish I had someone around to take a picture of my face. It would have been the most horrorfied look anyone has ever seen. :eek: :D Thanks...JIM

6. Go to a Pet Shop and buy some Natures Miracle. Will probably take around $20 woth to clean up the house but the stuff is fantastic. I tried all the home brew solutions and then bought some NM. Smell was gone immediately.
    Daisy has beeen blasted four times and will never learn so I keep a bottle on hand at all times.

7. Home Made Skunk Smell Remover
    1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/4 cup Baking Soda
    2 tbsp Dish Detergent. The stuff for washing dishes in the sink, not something for dishwashers.
    Mix the ingredients in a large bowl, because it will boil up like Vesuvius. We are, after all, making an oxygen generator. Wash the dog with this while it is still foaming, because it is the oxygen which reacts with the thiols in the skunk stink to neutralize the odor. If it sits around, it will loose it's efficacy because the oxygen boils off. Don't try to store it in an airtight container, because it will blow up. The brew also works for clothes, humans and unlucky cats.

Used this home made skunk smell remover about a week ago. It worked very well.

8. Thanks for all the feedback. Using all your suggestions I finally got the smell to almost go away. I now keep a supply of de skunkers ready in case it happens again. Shortdrift, that Natures Miracle is good stuff and real easy to use. I just hope that my Lab is a quick learner and keeps away next time. Thanks all....JIM

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Blue Pike hit the nail on the head. We used this recipe on our dog.

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I dont understand at all! I love the smell of skunks, seriously.

11. I feel for you man. Thats has to be bad. They have got my dogs, but the dogs stayed outside.

And fishman i still dont understand how you can like that. It is only natural to hate it, they use it in deffense. I guess that is why you are the man, oh mighty skunk master.

12. Nature's Miracle is some really good stuff, Simple Solution is even better!! Both are available at Pet Supplies Plus or Petsmart. I have 2 Rottweilers 6 yrs old and have had the chance to try just about every product sold in those places over the past 6 yrs. :D Simple Solution is the absolute best when it comes to cleaning up upholstery or anything else.

13. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

my dog have been skunked while we were camping in wisconsin several years back, i remember that well..i tried everything known to man on him and still can not get all the smells out..it may seems like its gone, but as soon as he's wet or damp, the dreaded stench comes back..i know it lasted for a couple of months..
    i feel for you...:)