got me a 3wt for summer!

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Fishaholic69, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

had to get me a 3wt for summer gill and bass fishing! anyone have one? are they any good? what is the advantages and disadvantages of a 3 wt?
    here is what I got.http://www.bitchcreek.com/rods-prowler-fly-rods.html
    http://www.bitchcreek.com/reels-cr-fly-reels.html
    I am always looking for a bargain! I had to act "and spend" fast! on ebay I found the bitch creek 3wt combo. you get the brand new prowler rod 8 foot 3 wt with unconditional warranty. you get the teflatec reel in 3wt. you get a rod and reel case with bitch creek logo, some 3 weight floating line and backing and a 5x leader. then you get a free how to cast better ebook and a fly fishing cd. all for 123 bux! wow Happy new year to me!!!! the combo on the full creel is 199 bux without the book and cd! on this website they want 179 just for the rod. think this is a good deal?

2. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

You'll have a blast with your 3 wt on pannies. If you ever get to Michigan or Penn. they are perfect for Rainbows and Brookies as well. Middle of last winter I just happened on Cabellas site at the right time and picked up a 3, 6, and 9 wt. St. Croix at about 70% off each. Up til then I fished always for everything with a 7 wt. The 3 in the spring for spawning gills is my favorite.

3. Fishaholic69

awesome! what difference can you tell between the higher weights and the 3wt? do ya got to be real easy with it or something? is it more sensitive? I got a 5/6 weight for regular summer fishing and a 8wt for steelies. I can cast drys softer and better with my 5/6 compared to the 8wt. you are lucky you got those st croix so cheap. I would of done what you did and bought um up too haha now the killer is waiting to use it in the summer lol

4. I just picked a 3 wt up at Gander Mt. A Guide Series with a tube case for 50 bucks. Although, I need a reel and line. I've been going nuts waiting on the ice. This way if it never comes, at least I'll be happy looking forward to spring crappies and gills with the fly rod.

5. Fishaholic69

ya i know the wait to use it sux. just can't wait till it comes! at least I can hold it and dream lol I always try to get a combo that has line and a reel cause I am not up to buy all the stuff separate. at least you have till spring to save up and get some good line and a reel.