close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got An Idea.....

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Ruminator, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

For all of us who are slow at typing, I am wondering if there is a set up available that would allow you to speak into a mike, and have your words printed into a chatroom?
    That would be too cool.:D

My son has talked to others that he is gaming with....the first step?

2. Its been done... My nephew has one for school work... Do a search engine search...

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

It's called speech recognition, and I'm sure there are programs out there, although you'd have to copy/paste to the chat window. IBM makes a program called Dragonspeak I think...

4. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

If you could just have your words show up in the typing window, then click "send" it would be a fast procedure. If you have to copy/ paste everything, that would take as much time as punching it out it seems.

5. IBM's product is called "Naturally Speaking" and it seems to be a very powerful product. We looked into buying it for an employee once who had MS. However, we never invested in it because she is no longer with the company. But I believe that it would support typing in a reply or chat room as it claims to support functionality in all Microsoft applications. I am not sure of price but you should be able to find it in local stores (Staples, Best Buy, etc.). I hope this helps.

6. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Thanks guys. I will check them out. ;)

7. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Beware: Those voice programs pick up "a lot" of stuff...Could be real interesting in here if this happens... :D :D

8. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I've used them and supported them (dragon dictate, and naturally speaking) and they are a COMPLETE pain. They require a LOT of training (to your voice), and if you wake up one day and have a cold, don't even bother using it. They are pretty resource hungry too, so make sure you've got enough HP for it.

9. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Thanks for the "real-life" advice Brandon. That really helps focus the pros/cons for the idea for me. ;)

10. AOL sold one of them years ago but in order to use it you had to read a long story so that it would identify your voice. If someone else used it on your computer, forget it. Strickly a one person set up.

11. RUUUUNNNN down to local software store and purchase MAVIS BEACON teaches typing. This will be a lot less painful than trying to use voice reconigtion programs. They are good for laughs however. After training in your voice get gently sluiced up and try to make sense of what you say and what it types. Also holding tongue produces some hilarity also.

12. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

papaperch, in light of what the advice of this thread has shared, I'm going to have to take your advice along with the others. ;) It looks to be the only smart choice.

I want to thank everyone who helped me with their experience, input and advice about this. ;)
    Don't you just love the willingness of everyone here to help each other out?! I know I do! :cool: Totally cool.

13. AMEN Brother :D