close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

got a question about live wells

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Fish4Fun, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Ok guys don't know if you all saw the picture of the boat dad got for me to use but i posted it on j's site will try here also. My question is it has what dad was told are two live wells. The one has a whole in the bottom that goes all the way threw the boat about the size of a 1/4" drill bit, how do live wells work will it only fill up to the top of the live well or what. Dad saw the boat in the water no leaks he bought it in flordia over the winter. the same live well has 3 holes the same size on the side of the boat below the water line that are all plugged with silicone.

Also got the boat all ready today just need to clean it up little more pic up the sticker tomorrow put the motor back on. I did move the boat up some on the trailer so that it wasn't hanging over the end. How important is a transom saver i should be able to make one the motor is a 20hp merc older .

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Here is the boat if this works the 2 box's in the center are suppose to be live wells the one on the left has the holes the one on the right doesn't

[​IMG]

3. I know my buddy used a 2x4 for a saver. Cut a V in it and wedged it in and it always stayed in place. This was on a 24ftr with a Merc Cruiser motor. I hope that is what your talking about.............. Rich

4. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

The water level can only come up as high as the water level outside the boat.
    When you come up on plane the water will drain out unless you plug the hole.

5. Spend $35 and install a transom saver. Even a smaller motor will create a significant amount of stress which will someday show up as leaks in the transom area. Will also be a lot easier on the motor mounting bracket.

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Thanks for all the info guys, boats almost ready would have been tonight but had to pull the gas tank in my gmc jimmy to put in that fuel pump i have been having problems with probably won't get the new one untill mon or tuesday sucks but have to order. So may finish the boat up sun mon and if get the truck done take it out thur or friday.