Got a new metal detector....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by yonderfishin, Apr 19, 2018.

1. I had been waiting the release of this detector for a while hoping I could somehow find a way to afford one. Had no idea how until I got a bonus from work , and then it was an agonizing decision whether to use it to pay bills.....which is what I usually wind up doing ......or accept the fact that I am going to feel guilty for spending the money on myself and just order the thing. I always come last when it comes to getting anything , I always pass on things so the wife and kids have what they want or need. A bonus like this is rare and will probably never happen again , so I pulled the trigger and placed an order. Ive had it a couple weeks now and I can say this thing is awesome and a huge upgrade from the one I have been using ( Garrett AT pro ). My first real hunt with it in an area Ive hunted for years with the other detector and considered it to be pretty much hunted out , I found a silver quarter and dime around 8 inches deep within 10 minutes of getting there. This new detector has a lot of high end features and abilities for a mid range price , so I am still learning it and getting used to it. I wanted the 800 model that has a few more advanced settings available but I settled for the 600 and I dont regret it.

Another " dirt fishing " post on the gamefishing forum :D

Attached Files:

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Good luck with it man! My eTrac has been gathering dust the last few years...I wouldn't feel guilty about buying it...what's the point of life if there's no fun in it....I hope you find lots of big shiny things in your holes....hmmm that sounds weird...

Good luck!

Saugeyefisher and Lazy 8 like this.

3. LOL....I know what you meant. Thanks.

The etrac has an edge on this one in some ways. The etrac and ctx are apparently king , but not as fast or light. Though the equinox is good enough to be compared to them which puts it on a very short list. And with a veterans discount I got it for $525 shipped , cant complain about the price. Now if the weather would cooperate I can spend some serious time out there with it. You oughta dust that etrac off sometime and do some dirt fishin...

Lazy 8 and ress like this.
  4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

First off, thank you for serving. If you're bangin out silver's at 8 I'd say youre good to go, you haven't even learned the machine yet...I'm sure I will someday....I'm 46...it's something I've enjoyed off and on since I was about 10 or so...the forecast looks decent finally....you'll get plenty of field time very soon...shoot when I get into it nothing stops me...I was out in a blizzard a few years ago...found one great spot where I dug up 5 large cents...really cool...4 one day, 1 another day, and I think I was looking for number 6 in that snow

Lazy 8 likes this.
  5. Man, those Equinox machines make me wish I had stock in Minelab. They are all everyone in the hobby is talking about these days. Your report is right on track with all the others I have read. Places that have been hunted to death since the 70's are producing coins and deep relics like they were never touched. I may have to sell my AT Pro and upgrade. :)
    As far as feeling guilty for the purchase, look at it this way. How many other toys will eventually pay for themselves? A guy I know has found enough just in clad alone to offset the price of his AT Pro.
    Enjoy your machine and please post your cool finds.

TDD11 and Lazy 8 like this.
  6. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Tom just THINKS he saw the money....

You guys are outta my league. You make mine look like it was made by Fisher Price.

9Left and Saugeyefisher like this.
  7. Personally, I'm holding off until they invent glasses that let you see 2 feet into the ground. :) You just know such a toy is coming.

8. I don't know much about the new equinox but my etrac has been fantastic. I hunt mainly old yards and dig very little trash with the etrac. Do I miss some good stuff by not digging everything? I probably do but I'm not digging 100 holes in someones nice yard. When I leave you can't tell I've been there. Is the equinox a multi tone multi frequency machine?

9. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

You guys are killing me. A detector is on my list. Being into local history, there's some places I can't wait to look over.

10. I wonder what might be on my property. This neighborhood was developed in 1955 and I bought this place in 2015. I know very little about its history, so who knows what might be out there.

Saugeyefisher likes this.
  11. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

You could always try historic aerials (.com).
    They have imagery going back to the '50's
    (also cool for looking at what was there before reservoirs were built).

percidaeben and All Eyes like this.
  12. Done that. I got this from Franklin Soil and Water Conservation District, an aerial pic from 1959 I think. This is Lincoln Village on the west side of Columbus. I can zoom in on my house but the resolution is so poor that it's just a blur.
    lincoln_village.jpg

percidaeben and Lazy 8 like this.

13. Looks like there is some good history to that area. Id bet there is old silver in the ground for sure.

14. Yep , multi tone and simultaneous multi frequency as well as selectable single frequency

15. Well there's extreme dirt fishing - in the recent news, a construction crew in Berlin found another un-exploded 1,100-pound bomb

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43833138

How would you like to be the excavator operator who finds that? Fresh underwear please.

All Eyes, Saugeye Tom and Lazy 8 like this.
  16. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Tom just THINKS he saw the money....

If your lucky enough.

creekcrawler and Snakecharmer like this.
  17. Talked to my son-in-law at the Captains game tonight. Asked him about the Equinox 600 and he said he got his about a month ago! He found some nice coins already. He is on some dirtfishing website for Equinox users. Do you belong?

18. I am on a few websites but probably not that one.

19. Congrats and good luck.
    I've been watching the Equinox units.

I currently use a Nokta Impact and now I'm waiting for the Nokta Anfibio to be released.

20. A new permission paid off for me this evening. It's a house right down the road and I can't wait to get back to it. The lady that owns the property has lived there since the 40's and said that no one has ever hunted it before. I only had about an hour to hunt and pulled 4 wheats right off the bat. Then I got a great low 90's signal on my AT Pro. I rolled the plug over and broke it in half with my hand, and this big shiny reeded edge was sticking out! Yes!!! A bucket lister for me, and my first walking liberty half dollar! It's a 1945 S and in pretty good shape. Very cool!
    walker half1.jpg walker half 2.JPG walker half.JPG walker half 3.JPG

Last edited: May 8, 2018