close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GoT A Legal Problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FishnJoe, Oct 21, 2004.

1. I have a camper and a school bus parked on my property. Zoning has declared them to be abandoned. Not so. I have them tagged and am storing them on "MY OWN LAND" Got court date in 7 days. Zoning is forceing me to remove them. I'de understand if it was a fancy neighborhood but the area is an older area of town. When I bought the property it was Agriculture/residential. Because of all the new developement going all around me....I have become a victum of progress. It's just not fair. I've owned this piece of property for 12 years. Some guy's junk is another's treasure. I'm a tinker'r. Want to make a rolling carpenter shop out of bus. Saving motor home...looking for piece of recreation property to park it permanently. Use as a cheap cabin. I'm really bummed out. Anyone ever gone through this? HELP, thanks for listening

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Ghost

Did zoning allow you to park those types of vehicles on your property when you started parking them there? If so, you are "grand fathered" in. Zoning cannot be changed to make existing use non-conforming. Only when you change use does the new zoning apply or when the property changes ownership, then the new zoning applies to that property. You'll have to do some homework and find out when the last time that zoning ordinance was changed and find out what the ordinance was before it was changed. If the ordinance existed before you started parking those vehicles there, then you are in violation, but you can apply for a variance to that ordinance. Also check to see if anyone else in the same zoning district has been granted a similar varience, if so, then they almost have to give you the same consideration or you can claim they are granting "selective zoning".

Or you can just take the titles to the vehicles in question with you to court and say that at the time of purchase, zoning allowed that use and make the prosecutor do his homework.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I would also take your registration for each vehicle to show that the tags/plates are up to date.

4. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

if the camper and bus are registered and up to date i don,t think they can make you remove them but if the tags are expired they can make you move them, not sure how its works in ohio but in pa i had this happen to me with a car in front of my house in an area that you couldn,t even see another house............same thing i wanted to repair the car as soon as time and money allowed and those pr.......ks must have been checking the car everyday cause the day after the tags expired i got the 1st notice and a week later they came with a tow truck.........consult with a lawyer it shouldn,t cost you anything for your 1st consultation......sad but thats the way it is today.......................><{{}}>

5. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

What may make the scenario tricky is Municipal Ordinances, not necessarily State law. What is legal in one city may not be in another, due to local gov't enecting certain laws. I would go to your local law library and pull a copy of the city codes. The city codes will have all the State codes plus the additional city ordanances, and you should be able to see exactly what is legal where you live..

6. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Shadow man is correct I believe. If the tags and registration are up to date, you can have those vehicles. Who is to say if they are not being used or not? Just tidy up the area around them to appease the neighborhood. :) Most cities do not allow unregistered vehicles to be on their property. I had a van in my driveway that the tags were expired on. I just used in the summer for camping and such, as it was a pop-top conversion model. I let the tags go in the winter, and I had the city tell me about it. Updated the tags, and PRESTO! No more problem!

7. I know around here they have to be tagged and moved, even if it is just a couple feet now and then. Someone has their eye on you.