Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
live-2-fish
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just bought a 5 foot radius cast net. My buddy in Florida taught me how and i loved it so i got one, i am not a pro at it yet but i can get it to make a pretty good circle. anyways, i was wondering if anyone on here has or does use them. If so, what are the rules with using them in Ohio. and any tips would be great also.

·
Super Moderator
3,974 Posts
:confused:
straight from the fishing regs.

MINNOW OR BAIT FISH TRAPS- It is illegal for anglers to possess or use a minnow or bait fish trap larger than 24 inches in length and 12 inches in width. Additionally, possessing or using a minnow or bait fish trap with an opening larger than one inch is illegal.

CAST NETS- Forage fish may be taken with cast nets only in the Inland Fishing District. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than 1/4 inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter of greater than 10 feet. It is illegal to use a cast net within a distance of 1000 feet downstream from any dam posted with Division of Wildlife signs indicating cast net use is prohibited

·
Enjigneer
1,369 Posts
From the regs:
CAST NETS- Forage fish may be taken with cast nets only in the Inland Fishing District. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than 1/4 inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter of greater than 10 feet. It is illegal to use a cast net within a distance of 1000 feet downstream from any dam posted with Division of Wildlife signs indicating cast net use is prohibited.

http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/wildlife/fishing/fishregs/main.htm

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
Something to add.
Be sure not to keep any no forage fish.
Its unlawful to keep something like a bluegill or crappie from a cast net, even if you are using it for bait.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You can catch shiners, chubs, suckers, minnows, shad, skipjack, etc. Don't keep any sunfish, etc. Don't keep any darts either since alot of them are protected.

I don't think you can throw a net in Lake Erie because of the whole Emerald Shiner thing. Other than that, as long as its not posted as prohibited its fair game. I use mine alot in the Scioto River and local streams. Once you start fishing with wild shiners you wont fish with any store bought minnows again.

A word of advice too, be careful of what you dump in your bucket. I have caught net fulls of shad and been sorting through them only to find a 3"-4" crappie or white bass in with them, they are very easy to miss. Be sure to check when you dump directly into a bucket. You don't want to have a wildlife officer check your bucket and have something like that in the bottom.

Jake

·
live-2-fish
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thnx man, like one time at the Little darby creek, we saw a little school of what looked like shiners, those would have been nice. i threw it in a local park's pond just to get the feel for my new net and i caught 3 little 2 - 3 in. crappie and a 5 incher, but threw them all back as soon as they were out of the water, anyways, thnx again for the info.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
cast nets are far more useful in salt water areas than they are in Ohio waters.

with the new laws regulating moving fish/bait fish across state/province lines, the use of castnets/dipnets will likely increase as dependable bait sources become overburdened and less reliable.

make sure you understand the laws if you decide to catch your own bait.

·
Enjigneer
1,369 Posts
And, it helps to know what's under the surface before you cast. Mine has several large holes from underwater snags. What method are you using to throw your net? The way I was taught involved holding the lead line in my teeth (see the second method in the link below). Not so bad when throwing over relatively clean saltwater sand/grass flats, but not real appealing when throwing over some of our freshwater mud bottoms. That lead line comes up black and smelling like a leech bed.

http://www.castnetworld.com/cast-net-throwing.html

·
Tom B.
3,888 Posts
Check out Calusa's website for an alternative method to holding the line in your teeth. http://www.calusa.com/watchvideo.cfm?name=notrequired Click on part three.
I actually like throwing the net and catching shad. It's cool to see some of the other fish you bring in. I've caught some big carp , sorta sucks having to fix the net though.
By the way, the Calusas are a lot of money, but man does it throw beautifully. Unfortunately I lost mine to a nasty snag in Florida that was too deep to swim to and retrieve the net. I currently have a Laker net from Wal-mart-----it doesn't feel anything the same. I'm going to try soaking it in fabric softener and adding some more weight to see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Just make sure you have the right net for the bait you want. We use them at Greenup Dam on the Ohio and you wouldn't believe all the frustrated people you see using a 3/8 in cast net trying to get shiners. They toss right in the middle and can't get them because the mesh is too big. So just remember 1/4 in for minnows,,3/8 for Shad. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I used to use a cast net in florida to catch shrimp. I put one of the weights in my teeth and grabbed a few feet around the side of the net with my right hand and slung it from left to right , if ya let go at just the right time you can open the net up and spread it out real pretty before it hits the water. I need to get one up here with small enough holes to catch minnows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts