close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gorge/Edison res. pollution: facts and pics

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mr. Creosote, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here are the stats. flow rates and amount, on the CSO's that discharge raw sewage into the 'Hoga 365/24/7. http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/CSO/model.htm

Here are the pics of the CSO's located at the Edison res. next to the Edison elec. plant. http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/CSO/CSO35.htm To view the location from the air and get a better idea of it's location click on aerial view at the bottom of the page. These CSO's are nearly 6 ft. in diameter. The plant has been offline for 18 years and the thermal pollution via warm water discharge has since then ceased as has been accurately posted however the CSO at this location continuously discharges raw sewage. After even a moderate rain a cruise over the bridge gives a whole new meaning to the word nausea. Phew.

2. .. there are two one I have seen discharge pipes on the lil hoga that are brick that I think are about 18" in diamter there old and flow when she rains from up the hill in upper merriman! Great info !

3. jack kiser

jack kiser buckeyeangler.com

- following is a response from the actual source named and (mis)used following some positive postings on a local fishery that apparently angered someone,prompting a misleading posting citing outdated data and some rather silly "observations."I was one of the original post-ers and when contacted at the paper by another(below),I went right to the source misused to get his actual-and up-to-date response.He was none-too-happy about the posting and replied as follows:

"Bronowski, Jeff" <BronoJe@ci.akron.oh.us> wrote:
    Mr. Kiser:

Thank you for identifying the mis-information regarding the City of Akron's Combined Sewer Overflows (CSO's) being discussed at OhioGameFishing.com and being told to Metropark users visiting the Cuyahoga River, Gorge Dam Area.

The City of Akron's CSO's do not outlet into the Cuyahoga River or any other receiving stream in the City of Akron "365/24/7" as the message board poster has stated. Combined Sewer Overflows are designed to only occur during large rainfall events when there isn't available capacity in downstream sewers. CSO's are not discharging "raw sewage". CSO's are a combination of mostly storm water and a small portion of sanitary sewage. The specific overflow in which you and the message poster seem most interested in is CSO #35 which outlets to the Ohio Edison Dam pool at the Front Street Bridge. Over the last 10 years this overflow has been improved because of several projects completed by the City of Akron. The projects include:

- Upstream separation where storm water was removed from the CSO #35 drainage basin to minimize the volume, duration and occurrences of overflows.

- Diversion structure (rack) modifications to maximize flow into the downstream sewers

- Daily diversion structure (rack) inspections and cleaning if necessary

- and the Northside Interceptor Sewer Cleaning project which significantly increased capacity in the downstream 48" interceptor sewer

Also, the City of Akron is currently finalizing negotiations with the EPA to construct numerous additional CSO improvements including a 10' diameter tunnel which will parallel the Cuyahoga River to capture all overflow from CSO #35.

If you would like additional information, please contact me or Pat Gsellman in the Bureau of Engineering at (330) 375-2357.

Thank You

Jeff Bronowski

The following is the posting made on May 18th on a message forum at OhioGameFishing.com:

Here are the stats. flow rates and amount, on the CSO's that discharge raw sewage into the 'Hoga 365/24/7. http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/CSO/model.htm

Here are the pics of the CSO's located at the Edison res. next to the Edison elec. plant. http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/CSO/CSO35.htm To view the location from the air and get a better idea of it's location click on aerial view at the bottom of the page. These CSO's are nearly 6 ft. in diameter. The plant has been offline for 18 years and the thermal pollution via warm water discharge has since then ceased as has been accurately posted however the CSO at this location continuously discharges raw sewage. After even a moderate rain a cruise over the bridge gives a whole new meaning to the word nausea. Phew.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

-----Original Message-----
    From:c/o: Jack Kiser [mailto:smallmouth_angler8@sbcglobal.net]
    Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 8:02 PM
    To: bronoje@ci.akron.oh.us
    Subject: cuy.river @gorge

jb,

a number of us like to fish off the new pier at gorge park and do pretty well.Because of things you still hear on the internet, some of the group were fearful of eating any of the crappie or perch we've been catching lately.We noticed a few of the locals resented us being there and one said he was a river "expert"and would give us "the facts" on the edison portion if we went to a posting at gamefishing.ohio.com under the name Creosote .

We had called the EPA in twinsburg and while they indeed said effluents still do sometimes go in to that pool, its nothing like it once was and he saw no reason not to eat these fish.Then we saw creosote's posting-that had your name attached-that even had a brown spectre superimposed over an aerial foto taken of discharge #35, followed by creosote's dire warning and sarcastic comment about the spot and the smell.we simply haven't observed this situation and noted the stats cited from this cso study were over 10 yrs. old and these guys seem to fish there all the time yet seem to resent others also doing so.This guy's postings of this official city info combined with his own comments scared some ans shamed others.

I'd always heard the truly damaging discharges were further down in the valley on the way to erie and #35 is comparatively minor and much improved over the past.The officials confirmed this.

Can you help us out a little here?thanks,

greg

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

now you all should know better than to even talk about the cuyahoga. all this information is pretty erevelant, all have their own beleifs and as is known, they won't be changed for anyone. way to stir the pot.

5. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Actually, I like to hear updated and corrected information. But alas, it does stir the pot on the biggest argumentative topic on this (and former) forum. I fish Edison occasionally from my canoe, but have never gone past the bridge downstream. I'm always too afraid I might be breaking some kind of silly law and scurry upstream around the corner to hide. Also, if I were to have a malfunction in my motor and my one paddle were to break :rolleyes: , I don't want to get too close to the falls! I technically have never seen CSO #35, but value the positive information on one of my fishin' holes.

6. ..and glad I dont fish it, and great infoamtion that is being devulged here is awesome!

7. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Considering I drive past Edison practically every single day of the year, all I want to know is what is "sanitary sewage"?? Because there are days when I drive past and the smell is so bad it will knock you out. Would this still be considered sanitary sewage?? I have fished many places on the river and not smelled a stench this bad ever. Also, there are times when it doesn't rain for weeks on end, yet every once in a while, it still reeks of something not so pleasent. If this smell would only come at a time when Akron drain sewers were overloaded, then why the stench at that time as well?

flash--------------------------------------out

8. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I'm shutting this down, right here, right now.
    Cresote, Mr. Kiser, and others, if you have an ax to grind, you do it somewhere else but NOT HERE. Get it? Got it? GOOD. I don't care who's right and who's wrong, but this board is not the place for your personal battles.

Any future arguements between you two on this public forum will result in immediately suspension of your posting privilages. There is no place for this arguing here.

'Nuff said.

(From Big Daddy)Edison and the Lower Cuyahoga have issues. Akron and the EPA are looking into them and making much needed repairs. But the problems do still exist, so it seems you're both sort of right in your positions. Now, can we move on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.