Goose Help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shroomhunter, Dec 20, 2007.

1. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

A goose has decided it wants to live here at our pond. It appears to be a somewhat tame fat farm goose but noone can get within 10 feet of it. Should I feed it or will it go back wherever it came from? If I need to feed it what do you feed a goose? I'm guessing shelled corn.....
    Anybody want this thing, I really don't want it hanging around.
    Hmmmm...Christmas Dinner:D
    Help!!!My kids and all the neighbor kids are worried about the doggone goose.

PS I got a real kick watching the neighbor women out there with blankets trying to capture the goose so they could take it to the animal shelter...a real redneck moment there, Larry the cable guy would've had fun with this!

2. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Cook it over a drip pan.

3. is this a wild goose???? if it is ??? get rid of him .or you'll have every goose in five mile at your place . I have NO geese at my pond . I throw rocks/shoot over them ,even have a scare crow cannon. no goose stays here more than a min or so . been chasing them for yrs , now only a goose or to lands and leaves , fast .I turn sadie loose [lab ] she loves chasing them . they are pretty but one big pain , two geese make babies next the babies come back and have more babies ,and on and on it goes.

4. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Plus they will crap on EVERY blade of grass!

5. Seams as if Christmas Dinner has shown up just waiting for an invite to the table.
    Animal shelter will not take goose birds things.

6. shroomhunter

One of those great big ones with a real fat neck...maybe it overheard the farmer and his wife discussing Christmas dinner:D

The neighbor women want to feed it so I was just asking so I could pass it along.

It is not a Canadian, we already have them and this one wont hang out with them.

7. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

If you feed it it will become your goose. Nuff said.

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

is it a swan?? they are twice the size of a goose and have a 6 ft wing span? if so i would not cause it any harm ,the fine is kinda high.

9. if its a swan. keep him ,goose and swans .don;t like each other . the geese will leave .

10. shroomhunter

Ok well whatever the dogone thing is what do they eat? I don't care if it sticks around it doesn't bother me and it amuses all the neighbor kids.

I have absolutely no reason whatsover to kill it or cause harm to it, I just want the females in the neighborhood to buy some food for it. They consider me some sort of "expert" on these things because I fish and hunt. I guess I'll suggest bread as that is what kids always feed them ducks/geese at the park.

11. Corn, But I Wouldn't. They Make One Heck Of A Mess!

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

An adult goose can eat 3 pounds of turf a day, and it'll give you 2 pounds of that back.

Get some cracked corn, I think thats okay for them??

13. shroomhunter

Thank you guys for the help, I'll tell the womenfolk to go buy cracked corn and bread. I don't care if it craps all over their yards it's not in mine so I don't have to walk in it.
    I can't imagine it'll be around long the coyotes will get it soon and the kids will be crying over the pile of feathers.

14. Don't feed it bread, it cost way too much. Cracked corn at tractor supply is about $6.00 for a 50lb bag. I keep a STEEL garbage can of it down by the creek in my back yard so when someone with kids stop by the can feed the ducks in the creek. Tried plastic bucket and cans but the squirrels keep eating thou the buckets. If you have a choice ducks are much better they don't leave a mess behind and the are a lot quieter. We have incubators and order mallard eggs in the spring, the kid’s love watching the get bigger so fast. We don't handle them if we don’t have to it makes them to tame. When their big enough I put them out in a chicken wire pen I made that can be taken down when were done, it has a top on it to keep the predators out (once a dog got in and ate all but one of our ducklings). Once they feather out we let them out, sometimes you don’t see them for a few days but they always come back (they know where the food is). It's nice down the road you can tell the one you raised from the wild ones because yours will come up to you to feed and the wild ones will stay in the creek looking like what are they doing. They still fly south for the winter and some still come back every year. Just try not to handle the ducklings too much we had one (the one the dog didn’t eat) that was so friendly we couldn’t get it to stay at the creek by its self, it would be swimming and we would sneak back to the house as soon as it noticed we were gone it would come running back to the house quacking like it was scared. It also came and sat next to the guys finishing the cement in our drive as they worked.
    They can be fun for all ages, give it a try.

15. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

bread is bad for waterfowl dont feed them that!

16. shroomhunter

Thanks guys...I didn't bring this goose here. it just was here one day walking around the back yard. I'll get a bag of corn for the kids to feed it as it wont go back wherever it came from. Thanks again and I'll be sure not to feed it too much bread.

17. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

And when you get tired of it, there is always this.........:D

From Wild Ohio.....
    1/2 Canada Goose Breast (1 side, skinned)
    1 cup Red Wine
    1 cup Worchester Sauce
    1 cup Soy Sauce
    1-2 tsp. Garlic Powder

Make marinate by mixing equal parts wine, Worchester sauce, and soy sauce in a small to medium bowl. Stir in garlic powder. Soak goose breast in marinade for at least 2 hours, turning regularly. Cover bowl while meat is soaking. For longer periods of time, refrigerate marinating meat.

Wrap goose breast in aluminum foil. Heat on a medium-hot gas or charcoal grill until meat is cooked medium (do not overcook!). Slice into thin (1/4-1/2”) sections, like serving a London Broil. Best enjoyed when served hot off the grill. Serves 3-4.

18. Somthing tells me he would like it better if it was on a plate of mushrooms.