Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Blind Owl
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up to the lake today and yesterday. Wind out of the NE 4 to 7 mph my a$$. need a good weather app. Help!!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
45005 wind data was correct. NE winds 15 knots is going to produce 3s and 4s at least, building down the lake. Forecast was the problem saying 10 knots. I still use 45005 data plus IWindsurf.

·
fishing fool
371 Posts
NOAA measures waves in some weird, unable to understand way - multiply by 1.5 or 1.75 and you may be close - noaa is basically useless. look at the 45005 bouy (and multiply) and iwindsurf and make your own forecast - you'll be better off.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Iwindsurf for hour by hour wind, and wunderground for hour by hour precipitation. For waves consider the fetch ,for Huron or Lorain if NE multiply by 2.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Yeah... use Iwindsurf and windy if you want, and take a look at NOAA and your local forecast, then make your best guess. If I’m going fishing a few days out I take pics of the Iwindsurf forecast on the day I’m fishing a couple times a day to get a feel for the trend. It really helps the guess part.
Weather underground will give you a “local” idea of precipitation. I have used myweather but for some reason mine lags about 15 min on the animations. However, if I’m cuttin it that close I’m probably in trouble anyway...

·
2,437 Posts
As Jim Stedke says iWindsurf for wind & Weatherunderground app for precip. I do find NOAA good for for thunderstorm prediction. If you go to "windmap" on the iWindsurf app and blow the scale out you can see the individual weather stations like 45005, the Lorain Light, etc. Click on those and you can get a wind graph and an hour by hour wind forecast. Drop a point anywhere on the map with windforecast up and you can get an hour by hour at that spot.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have the fishweather app on my phone.. ain't too bad. Better than NOAA if you ask me

·
Registered
872 Posts
You all might want to try SailFLow as well. I like it because it shows gusts hour by hour, not just wind speed. It's the gusts that get ya!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts