Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

took the day of to fish the LMR and to see how the smallies are doing.

Good things: First 3 casts (tube) 2 fish! Nothing big, maybe 12 -13 inches smallies.
I thought oh boy, good start!

Then....

Bad things: Then, over the next 4 hours I had at least (I really don't lie here) 25- 30 hits, but never got the fish out!!!

It was like tap,tap,tap.. hook set, on for a couple of seconds then gone!
Or tap,tap,tap,.. hook set...nothing!!

It was crazy! Finally they are biting again and I can't hook'em!

I tried tubes with exposed hook and t- rigged worms.

The tubes with inserted hook were snagging too much, so I switched to the t- rigged Berkley Power worms!

But I lost fish on both lures!!

I think maybe it's my braided line??? I use it with a fluoro leader, but maybe the fish has more time to take the lure with mono???:confused:

Any advice??

Overall I caught 5 smallies and a sauger, but was very, very frustrated!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi SMB Hooker,

I was fishing right in the current and in eddies!

I could see 4 or 5 bass jumping before they were off!

Never had problems with braid.....until today!

Now I'm thinking about trying mono!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
You usually won't feel too much tapping from a smallmouth. They will usually suck a bait in. So normally the line will just go slack or you will feel a mushy weight at the end of the line And maybe a slight pull. Sometimes they will hammer it and take off with it but this is only when they are real aggressive, You will know it is a smallmouth then, then they are most likely schooled up and trying to keep it away from other fish.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Hi SMB Hooker,

I was fishing right in the current and in eddies!

I could see 4 or 5 bass jumping before they were off!

Never had problems with braid.....until today!

Now I'm thinking about trying mono!
I've never been a fan of baid but I can't see that would be causing that many misses? I prefer mono or floro.

Also was your lure balling up at the end of the hook? Sometimes if it's rigged it wrong when u set the hook it actually works Against u and gets in the way of the Hookset?!?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
937 Posts
If I am constantly missing fish I always down size to a smaller lure so the fish can get a better bite on it. Give that a try next time. If they are hitting the worm then bite about an inch off of the nose of it. If they want the tube go to a smaller size. I always have tubes from 1"-4" in my tackle bag at all times (when I am spin fishing). That should do the trick. I dont think your line is having much of an affect especially with that 9 foot rod you use.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I miss a lot too, seems to be mostly smaller fish that aren't getting the hook in their mouth. The good news is many of the small fishies on the LMR are going to grow up to be bigger fishies.

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
I went 12 for 20 today with 8 leapers throwing the hook. I have found that not all jigheads of the same weight have the same sized hooks. BA actually gave me some really great 1/8ouncer's that have smaller hooks that are perfect for "tappers". I used 2 rods today, one with braid and one with mono and I was missing the fish on the braid because the drag was too tight and I was pulling the hook out of their mouths or tearing their mouths. My favorite tube setup has become a 1-piece 7ft rod with 6 pound Trilene mono, using 1/8ounce lead with very small red hooks.

As much as I make fun of my friends for using tubes, I sure have fun fishing them :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts