close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

good steelie rods

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by EE, Dec 8, 2004.

1. EE

EE

give me your thoughts on the rod you use for steelies. I have a 9' rod that I use, but it's heavier than I'm sure some steelie rods are and I'm probably looking to find another rod sometime soon. I'm not going to invest 200-300 in a G-loomis or a St. Croix, but I'm sure there are some very good steelie rods out there in the next class down.

the biggest issues I have are trying to "mend" my line in a current (keep my line behind my float instead of allowing the current to take it past my float), which seems to be easier for some than others; this is why I'm wondering if the weight of the rod has anything to do with it.

I'm guessing that the lighter the rod (and the line), the easier it is to "flick" the rod tip around and bring the line where it needs to be, behind the float........anybody want to contribute their thoughts or suggestions?

2. I've used 3 steelhead rods, all 10'6. A $30 Pinnacle, $50 Trophy Tamer, and a $90 Berkley steelhead rod. I honestly couldn't tell the difference that much between any of them. The $30 one broke, but that's because my buddy who was using it didn't know what the heck he was doing. I personally think spending over $100 on a steelhead rod is a waste of money, but that's just my opinion.

3. I have a St Croix Wild River 10'6" rod. It sells for $120 to $130. I like it and haven't had any problems. I also have 2 Bass Pro Shops Tourney Special rods (a 9'6" and a 10'6") as backups. They were about $30. My dad liked the BPS 10'6" rod better than some more expensive rods he had, so now it is no longer my backup rod, it is his main rod. The St Croix is lighter, but both do the job. Some people agree with Archman that if you're going to use the rod for float (bobber) fishing, there is no need to spend a lot of money since the float tells you when you have a bite and the sensitivity of the rod doesn't come into play as much.

Joel

4. I've used a 10' 6" light Shakespeare Intrepid noodle rod and a 9' medium light Berkeley Air IM7. Both fish well and cost under $65.00. I like the Berkeley a little better because the shorter length and the added power. I doubt that an expensive rod will catch more fish. The buddy I fish with says, if your confident and comfortable with it, then fish it.

5. Dingo

Dingo

Depends on how much you fish. My current steelie spinning rod was a bit over 100.00 in the late 1980s (St. Croix) and is still fishing well (many, many fish later). Only had to replace the tip a few times when the ceramic insert cracked -- probably from chipping away ice in the winter. That relates to a pretty low cost per year.

As important as the price is the action and weight. A light rod lets you fish longer with less fatigue. A rod with a good backbone (lower/mid section) lets you horse a fish when necessary for a quick release and can help keep the fish out of trouble in the water. A longer rod that you can still control lets you keep the line out of the water, reducing drag. But, depending on where you typically fish, the long rod may not be practical.

I didn't like the feel/action of the lesser cost rods that I have tried. Hard to beat the St. Croix models.

In my opinion, the quanity of reel is more important than the rod, since I've gone through quite a few reels on that same rod. Back to using shimano for now -- will see how it holds up.

6. I agree with Dingo that if you are on a budget, you're better off with a higher quality reel than an expensive rod.

Joel