close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good Shore Fishing in/around Columbus

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mkombe, May 23, 2007.

1. mkombe

mkombe Hack Fisherman

I am new to the area and am looking for some good areas to drop a line around the Columbus area. I dont currently have a boat so it would have to be from shore. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mostly looking for smallies, Large mouth, crappie...

2. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

welcome to the site. waht are you looking to fish for?

3. JamesT

JamesT Banned

I believe his original post reads "Mostly looking for smallies, Large mouth, crappie..."

I'd suggest Antrim. Major hotspot. Also some of the ponds on the east side, as well as the quarries by riverside dr.

Best wishes and tight lines!:B

4. The Scioto is under rated for its smallies and LM. Try findind a spot to jump in and wade. The Olentangy is also a pretty good wading area, try anywhere from Rt.23 to south of Olentangy Park by 270. Lots of shore access around Columbus.

Jake

5. are you allowed to fish the quarries by riverside drive?

6. They are all posted, but people still fish them. I have seen many posts where people seem to think it's okay to fish if the place "looks fished." Personally, I wouldn't fish anything posted without written permission. That's how the law says you gotta do it and I don't like to pay fines!!

7. mkombe

mkombe Hack Fisherman

are there public places to park if you are fishing north of 270 on the Olentangy?

Ive been looking for some smaller ponds for some large mouth but havent been able to find many.

Are you just using spinners in the scioto and olentangy?

Thanks for the help

8. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Antrim actually has some pretty big Largemouth in there. I was fishing there about a week ago right before dark on the South side and saw a "school" of 10-20 Bass that each went 16-24" (not a fish story... I have a non-fisherman witness haha). They were also being followed by what looked like a White Ahmer or something of the sort. (Which was also HUGE).

I was fishing a Zoom Finesse worm in Red Bug color. Texas Rigged with a 1/16 oz. sinker 6" from the hook. One of the smaller ones took it and I let it run a little bit..... but when I went to set the hook, it just came right out... he must not have really been hungry.

The moral of the story.... Antrim Has Bass. I guess I could have just started/ended with that. haha.