close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good rod for casting light jigs

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by kingfisher, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Im lookin into buying a new rod mainly for panfish and i want something that can cast like a 1/32 oz. jig but still hold a good size largemouth or walleye (just in case). I was thinking a Bass pro shops microlite graphite rod. What length would you suggest for casting the farthest, jigging etc. they range in size from 4'6" to 8'6". If anyone knows of a better rod I'd love to know what kind. would 4 lb test be good for casting far? any recommendations on line brands for casting distance? Thanks

2. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

I have the Pro Bass Microlite Glass 71/2 ft. with an Okuma ultralite reel and 6# Stren line. I found that the 4# line was getting caught up in the wind and currents too easily and the heavier line did the trick. What a good time when those bull bluegills are on the feed. :B

3. I would recommend a longer rod also, (6' or more) in the ultalight range. It greatly increases casting distance and accuracy, as well as being really fun to bring a fish in on.

4. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

My rod of choice for casting long range with very light jigs (1/32-1/16oz) for whitebass, skipjack herring, ect. is the 3 pcs. Cabelas 11ft. European live bait rod rated 2-8 lb. test. I normally run my standard 6 lb. G-power line and a smooth casting rel like a Daiwa Emblem, Shimano Stradic or my Shimano Ultegra.
    I have landed 100's of whitebass on this rod..2 at a time using a double jig rig and have caught some monsters to over 2 lbs. each.
    I have also caught many carp on this rod on the ohio river up to 15 lbs. This rod is very light, but will handle some big fish...but even 1 lb. fish feel like monsters on it as it has awsome action.

They make 2 model the 11ft. and a 13 ft version too.
    Buckeyefishingnut and myself own the 11fters. and have used them for the past 5 years with no problems at all.....its the best rod ive found for throwing very light lures long distance....we use a lot of lead heads, feather jigs and spoons on these rods.
    Also the longer the rod the better it is for protecting light lines against a hard fighting fish because the rod absorbs the shock..not the line, i know you could easily use 2-4 lb. tests on these rods and land fish you couldnt on shorter rods.

Scott

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166&id=0006770114615a&navCount=1&podId=0006770&parentId=cat20374&navAction=push&catalogCode=XF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20374&hasJS=true

5. Slikster

Slikster Shore Bound

I use a 10' noodle rod with an ultralite reel for panfish and casting small jigs.