Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fishing a kayak fishing tournament this weekend and am trying to narrow down some spots for productive water. The rules are that it has to be moving water within a 60 mile radius of Parkersburg, WV. This opens up the Ohio River, the Hocking River, Kanawha River, Little Kanawha River, etc. etc. This presents a challenge for me as it opens up so much good water.

Right now, I'm thinking about going to one of three places: The north fork of the Hughes river in Ritchie county WV, the Hocking River (maybe up around Logan? Athens?), or the Ohio River around the St. Mary's boat ramp (Middle Island Creek is right there too).

So I'm looking for some suggestions. Honestly, I'm not looking to catch any monsters (that would be nice), but I would like to catch my 3 fish limit. Any help you guys can offer on some good general areas is really appreciated!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I honestly didn't think Logan from Parkersburg would be anywhere near as short as 60 miles, but I google mapped it and it says 60.5. Crazy, I would have bet on 75-80 miles. As the crow flies, it would def be under 60. I don't know the Hughes or the Ohio in that area (I fish the Ohio mostly around Belleville-Racine), but I know the Hocking well. I'm assuming your 3-fish limit is bass species. In my opinion, if you're looking at the Hocking, I would not go below White's Mill in Athens. The Mill itself has good fishing, but I think from experience fishing basically the entirety of the Mill to Canaanville section below Athens, the bass fishing is a little sketchy. Very hit and miss. You get more consistent above the Mill, in my opinion. And if you're looking smallmouth-specific, I'd focus on Nelsonville and up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly didn't think Logan from Parkersburg would be anywhere near as short as 60 miles, but I google mapped it and it says 60.5. Crazy, I would have bet on 75-80 miles. As the crow flies, it would def be under 60. I don't know the Hughes or the Ohio in that area (I fish the Ohio mostly around Belleville-Racine), but I know the Hocking well. I'm assuming your 3-fish limit is bass species. In my opinion, if you're looking at the Hocking, I would not go below White's Mill in Athens. The Mill itself has good fishing, but I think from experience fishing basically the entirety of the Mill to Canaanville section below Athens, the bass fishing is a little sketchy. Very hit and miss. You get more consistent above the Mill, in my opinion. And if you're looking smallmouth-specific, I'd focus on Nelsonville and up.
Thanks for the tips! I ended up fishing the Ohio up above St. Mary's, WV. My fishing buddies and I managed to find a pretty good group of smallies and caught a bunch of them. None of the ones we landed were really big, but we hooked into some monsters, just couldn't get them out of the cover and in the kayak. Maybe next time. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts