close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good place to get a motor fixed around Dayton?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Jackfish, Jun 21, 2005.

1. I don't really know anything about how a boat motor works. I have a 9.9 Johnson that isn't running. Anyone know a place around Dayton that is worth recomending to fix it?

2. I would take it to dixie Marine in fairfield. I know its a little bit of a distance away, but you'll get excellent quality work from a well reputed marina.

Take 75 south to 275 west to Springdale Rt. 4 Exit. Take a right off the exit, its about a mile to a mile and a half up Rt. 4 on the left side. You can't miss it, it has a Ranger Bass Boat about 30 to 40 ft in the air. Good luck!
    J

3. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Most shops won't do anything for you if the engine is more than 10-15 years old- it's not worth the money. Figure 2 hours of shop time- that won't get you much done and that's $125 at least. A 15 year old 9.9 might be worth $1,000 if it's nice. Add somer parts and some more labor time for a real repair and you can dump $300+ in an engine and it isn't worth it.

What's wrong with it? Tell us what problem it has and maybe we can help.

UFM82

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Craig....
    *LOL*
    Make sure the valve is open & it's getting fuel. Pull the plug(s) and examine condition. Replace them if they are bad. Shoot a little starter fluid or carb cleaner in the plug holes, and see if it will fire up.
    Be sure to have it in a tub (trashcan) of water & secure to avoid any accidents. I used to put mine on a sawhorse. If it fires with a shot of fuel in it, then it might be in the carbs. If not, it might be the spark.
    I'm no expert but that can narrow it down to a fuel or spark (electronic) related problem.

5. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I saw the "problem". Not running is fairly vague. It doesn't start? It doesn't turn? It has a rod though the side? It has no cylinder head? I mean, "not running" could mean almost anything.

I just wanted a bit of info. Or, he could just save himself the hassle and give it to me. I'm sure I can figure out something to do with it. ;)

I'm thinking a total rebuild for thousands of dollars is in order. :D Oooh, I'm so bad.

UFM82

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Yeah...put $2,500 in it like I did and then try to sell it...

Not running to me, means won't start.

Just a thought...has it been submerged???