Good GMR trip

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by River Anglin, Jul 4, 2008.

1. I've been tired of this up-and-down river situation, so I decided to try some good old-fashioned chicken livers with my kid. We caught one catfish after another and a huge carp. That carp was too much fun! I thought it was going to be the biggest cat of my life the way it fought me on small tackle. I got my line broken twice by something (8lb Spiderwire Stealth broke close to the reel) before I could get the drag set. Twice!

That's not normally my kind of fishing but my kid had a blast and I'd love to do it again. We've been disappointed the last couple of months trying to find bass (or anything else for that matter) on the river.

2. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

Nothing wrong with a little cattin'. It can be blast, and I agree about the carp, they are great fun.

3. midoh39

midoh39 member

where were you fishing cause i saw alot of guys with there sons at the dam in troy.

4. midoh39

midoh39 member

I was the teen out in the middle fishing with shiners and chubs. I went early this morning and got 3 saugeye 15-19" 4 largemouth with one being my PB at 19" and a football stomach( no picture sorry but i do have a witness) and 3 smallies 10-16". Good luck

5. imalt

imalt Banned

what do you guys use for saugeyes. I usually use tubes or wee craws for sm. but i have never known what to use for saugeyes. I also did good the other night with fat jointed crank by the germantown dam on twin creek the other night caught a couple smallies.

6. Midoh -

I was the guy you borrowed the forceps from, and you gave my son a shiner to fish with. I'm glad to hear that you had some great success today. Congratulations! You really seem to have mastered that spot.

7. midoh39

midoh39 member

Trust me it seems to be luck. There are others that tear it up all the time. And nice meeting you.

8. Midoh- Nice to meet you, too. :)

Imalt - We didn't answer your question. Far be it from me to claim expertise in catching saugeyes, but I used to catch alot of them on a leadhead with twister tailed grubs. Also try a minnow on a floating jighead. Put a split-shot about 12" from the jig under a bobber. I haven't targeted saugeyes for many years since my favorite spot is now "off limits". :(

9. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

On catching saugeye, also try rapala husky jerk and fish it slow then slower.

10. midoh39

midoh39 member

11. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Nice smallie Ben!

12. midoh39: I think I saw you out there the last couple days. were you the guy catching bait with the cast net? I was the guy fishing off the side of the dam in the bright red shirt. I was technically "at work" but if I get some time in the day that gets slow I'll stop by and fish for a bit. I only had about 30 miinutes each time I stop by but its a good spot on the river so I almost always get something. yesterday I got a LM that was about 15" and a SM around 12"and snaged a drum. I hope to be out there again today!

13. midoh39

midoh39 member

Yeah that was me. I catch my own bait cause it helps save money and i think the fish like the shiners and chubs alot. Last night it took me forever to get a bit. I lost a nice saugeye and caught a catfish. These were with in the same time frame of using a bobber and a minnow.

14. Got out to the dam this morning and got 5 decent saugeyes. The river is alot higher and muddier than a few days ago. If you are using husky jerks you dont necessarily have to work them slow, I actually catch my saugeyes moving them very fast.

15. midoh39

midoh39 member

Good job WALIkng. Were yout to one fishing the back current area last night? I might head out tonight.

16. Yea I fished for a little bit yesterday. Only got two 15inchers though.

17. midoh39

midoh39 member

18. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

Midoh,
    how deep of water necessary for the casting net. I seine and make my own traps for minnows and chubs. I would rather use a casting net so I can get bait on a whim. Someone had told me that deep water was necessary. If so, how shallow do you think I can go?

19. midoh39

midoh39 member

i do fine with it in shallow water