Good fishing books

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CatBassCrap, Jul 18, 2008.

1. I am looking for some good fishing books. Mostly river fishing books but fishing books nonetheless. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. It is slim pickins out there on the internet. I have been trying to find some books for a while.

2. When I was a kid, I got a book from the library about smallmouth fishing. I believe it was written by a fellow named Barefoot and he was from the West Milton area. He wrote about his experiences on the Stillwater. One of the best books I've ever come across, especially since I could relate to the local waters. It's really old. If it's still around, the Dayton library is linked with the Troy-Miami County Public Library where I got it. They can get it for you.

3. Zfishman

Zfishman Member

Try "How to Fish Streams" by Dave Bowring. I think that I first found this in the library but later bought a copy from Amazon on line for a couple of bucks in hardback. Bowring used to write for the Dayton Daily News and the book is written around his experiences in this area. He mentions Barefoot several times in the book. He has another book called "Largemouth, Smallmouth, and Close Kin" that is also good and also includes local waters.

Homer Circle has some great books out also. Just go to Amazon.com and search on authors.

I was not aware that Barefoot had a book out. Now I might have to buy that one too.

4. Depending on what species you are targeting, there are several good books out there. I enjoy catfishing and was pleased to find a book they published on catfish. It give a lot of information on all catfish species and fishing for them in all types of water.

You might want to check out "Half Priced Books" in Miamisburg. They have several titles for a decent price. You can also preview them for content prior to purchase.

Spencer

5. River Books For What Species?

6. Folks,

Speaking of books, any body with some advice on books/ authors that deal with a more altruistic view of why is it that we have all fallen for this sport with such pasion? Not interested in tactics as much as the philosophy/ passion behind our sport...any ideas?

7. Jack London wrote "Tales of the Fish Patrol"

It's available free online at:
    http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Jack_London/Tales_of_the_Fish_Patrol/

They are mostly stories but they are entertaining and well written.

I read this one, but it can get a little dry at times.

The Compleat Angler, or the Contemplative Man's Recreation
    by Izaak Walton and Charles Cotton

8. Smallmouth, Largemouth, Walleye, Saugeye. Thanks everybody for the information.

9. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

My favorite is "Fishing in North America - 1888" !
    Awesome. The fellow talks about east coast fishing, but also mentions schools of 100's of bass at the mouth of the Cuyahoga, giant musky in Rice Lake,
    and huge walleye up to 30# in the Ohio River!
    Might be hard to find though.

Next up -"City Fishing"A group of short stories about fishing some less than idyllic streams and rivers near large cities.

10. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Ditto that on Bowring's book. You might be able to get it at the library, if its not on the shelf it might be in storage in their baseement.

Dan Gapen (gapen.com) has one on river fishing - its pretty good, teaches you alot about reading the rivers. He always tries to push his ugly bug jigs, but the info on locating the fish is useful.

11. It's been about 20 years since I read the book that I mentioned by Barefoot. Now you have me thinking that I read the same book you're talking about and I just remember the name Barefoot being mentioned often. I wish I could remember specifically. It was a good read.

12. Zfishman

Zfishman Member

Riveranglin, you may be right. I did a quick search and have not been able to find any books by barefoot. Bowring wrote about Barefoot in both books that I mentioned.

For anyone interested in this topic, another great book is "FLY FISHING WARM WATER RIVERS Lessons Learned On Ohio's Great Miami". This is a recently published book by Joseph Cornwall, a resident of Cincinnati and is about Southwest Ohio fishing and especially the GMR. It is oriented toward fly fishing but is also very helpful for learning to read the river and about the fish that are available here.

I keep watching for a book about fishing in our area by Sevenx. I just know that we will see one one of these days. I look forward to another great read.

13. montagc

montagc Always an inch shy

Okay, I just spent an hour trying to find the "Barefoot" book. You have any more info on it?

EDIT: :eek: Should have read better. I am going to get that one at the library.

14. Bassin' with the Pros. Very informative book with some good topics on when and where to use what baits and spawning information, lure information, presentation, etc. Picked up my copy at a Goodwill store just "lookin' for fishing books."

15. bass

bass EAT SLEEP FISH

FISHING THE OHIO RIVER By Mark Hicks best I have found

16. Zfishman

Zfishman Member

Another source you might consider is Mendelson's in downtown Dayton. They are liquidators and recently they picked up a lot of stuff from the North American Fishing Club including several very good books on bass fishing. They are very cheap in comparison to the normal club price. If I remember correctly they are less than $5.