close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good Deal On Rod and Reel?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by BrooklynBounce, Oct 22, 2004.

1. BrooklynBounce

BrooklynBounce Just Keep Truckin On!

I have been fly fishing for about a year and I am looking to expand my rod and reel collection. Guy I work with says that he will sell me a Orvis Sliver Label TL 5 wt. Tip Flex 9.5, 9' rod with Teton reel and line for $200.00. I was on Orvis web site and teton site and this looked like a good deal. What do some of you think?

2. LFN

LFN

Tip flex of 9.5 is a very unforgiving rod. You should be a good caster to use it well.
    Lou

3. Hey Bounce, thats a good price only if it is the kind of rod that you could really use. I would ask to cast it before I would buy it. A brand name rod is useless if it does not cast right. I bought a Orvis rod once that could not handle a sink tip line. It did not have enough backbone to keep the line from droping and hiting me on the back of the head on the forward cast. I was lucky that I was able to send it back for a refund. Now I only buy equipment that I am able to try before I buy it.....JIM

4. BrooklynBounce

BrooklynBounce Just Keep Truckin On!

Thanks for the info guys. I have used the rod before, infact the guy is letting me borrow it for as long as I want. I have noticed that it is unforgiving on the cast. Much more difficult to cast than my 8wt Cabella rod.

5. Bounce,
    That's a D**N good price if you can handle the rod. Remember that Orvis' customer service MAY be matched, but I haven't seen any that beat them. I also own 2 Teton Tioga reels, & they are nice. Keep us posted as to whether you make the buy or not.
    Mike