Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Estate Fleet
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved up to Columbus for school, and I was wondering if there were any good spots relatively near that were worth fishing for bass (from shore, no room for the boat up here). Thanks for any ideas.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Olentangy is full of smallies! Do some wading. If you are in the south campus dorms, 5th ave dam is kind of close, probably a mile. Biking distance for sure. If you are in the north campus dorms, Dodridge dam is about .5 miles away. I live near Lane and Neil. LMK if you want to get out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Olentangy is full of smallies! Do some wading. If you are in the south campus dorms, 5th ave dam is kind of close, probably a mile. Biking distance for sure. If you are in the north campus dorms, Dodridge dam is about .5 miles away. I live near Lane and Neil. LMK if you want to get out.
Im with kyle. I am willing and ready anytime to get out and do some fishing around here.

·
Registered
788 Posts
For a new student, see if they are hitting at the Varsity Club !! :D Just start trolling. :) "GO Bucks"

·
Kayak Conquistador
546 Posts
For a new student, see if they are hitting at the Varsity Club !! :D Just start trolling. :) "GO Bucks"

Varsity club is 21+. Panini's is 18+. Start trolling there. Thats my old honey hole :)

Get wet and wade while the weather is still warm. Try griggs spillway if you have a car.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Varsity club trolling is better for more mature fish and cougars... Panini's is better if you're into fingerlings and freshmen...

·
Registered
140 Posts
The tangy is a great body of water to fish in. You dont even have to fish at the two lowhead dams. I have a lot of success in the main pool between the Drake and Lane ave bridge. There are tons of smallies and rockbass plus some larrys and crappies if you time it right.

Also you should check out our bass club at OSU. We did not get a booth at the involvment fair but we do exist. PM me if you are interested and want more information. Tell your friends too.

·
The Estate Fleet
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Varsity club trolling is better for more mature fish and cougars... Panini's is better if you're into fingerlings and freshmen...
lol, yeah i still have a few years to go before i can hit up varsity club. Does anyone know how deep the olentangy is in the pool between the drake and the lane ave. bridge?

·
192 Posts
if you have a car Gahanna is a city near by thats where i am from and i would be glad to show you some ponds near by that are loaded with all the bass you can catch, good way to polish your skills before you venture out to the river

·
Registered
140 Posts
couldnt give you any accurate measure of depth in the pool, but its kind of shallow around lane ave and shallow on the west campus side between lane and woodruff. It gets deeper as you get closer to the 5th ave dam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts