Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First season with a fly rod and wanted to start small. I was wondering if someone could suggest a pond or lake in NE ohio that has a hearty bluegill panfish population.? and that was fly casting friendly... I just want to get the feel for it and have a better chance of hooking something..
thanks
Janus

·
Off the beaten path
936 Posts
Just about any pond should suffice. As for a GOOD bluegill spot, well that's almost as secret as a native brookie stream. FP

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
eastbranch during the spring has a decent gill population or better yet try a privet pond.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Janus,
Where are you located? I am in Canton & would be happy to take you out to a pond or two I fish. The one is a small pond, but I have taken a number of 9" to 10" gills & redear there. Shoot me a pm if interested.
Mike

·
Off the beaten path
936 Posts
Janus,

Nice blog. You are a talented writer! Might see ya out on the Rock sometime I love to chase those smallies.
FP

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fishing pole,
Thanks for the compliment! I love to chase those smallies too!! first time on a fly rod but I'm making a commitment to it this summer. I'll PM you sometime to see if you might be down there when I get out.
Janus

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hello,
First season with a fly rod and wanted to start small. I was wondering if someone could suggest a pond or lake in NE ohio that has a hearty bluegill panfish population.? and that was fly casting friendly... I just want to get the feel for it and have a better chance of hooking something..
thanks
Janus
Veterans park in Mentor i've never seen so many bluegill in my life:)

·
Registered
154 Posts
The good thing about bluegill is that you can find a nice bluegill hotspot fifteen minutes from where you're standing right now.

Your info says you're from Northeast Ohio... if you get a chance, check out Little Beaver Creek as well. I did pretty with the fly rod there, using poppers.

Good luck and let us know how your experience with the long rod goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts