close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good batter for Pike.

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by FactuaL, May 11, 2008.

1. FactuaL

FactuaL Banned

i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a good fish batter for pike. i had it once before but i usually give them away to the poor. i filleted one pike yesterday and will be cooking him today. What a nice fillet its humongus. I usually use ritz cracker crumbs for the crust and dip the fish in milk and egg to hold the crumb breading on. Any other suggestions feel free to respond. Please be nice.. and Thanks..

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Any of the "shore lunch" type batters are good. Also bread crumbs & ritz crackers are good. WE usually use a beer batter in Canada. Same mix just use beer instead of water or milk. One of the best is Grandpa Tims mix. A guy on here use to sell it but I haven't seen it for a while. Try the pre mix and see if you like it.

3. FactuaL

FactuaL Banned

Yes i remember shore lunch and it was delicious didn't even think about that. I think i can find it at dicks sporting goods or a bait shop.. Thanks.. yum

4. Factual,

I use Aunt Jemima pancake mix,egg, salt, pepper, and beer (milk can be substituted). Fry in a deep fryer....Mmmm Mmmm Gooood!

PS I enjoy your reports from the front.

5. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

I use the same mix as Snakecharmer plus I add a little lemon juice. I always coat my filets with the dry pancake powder before dipping it into the wet mix. This makes the wet batter bond to the filets. Also the wet mix should look almost 'too thin', this will make for a perfect fried batter. If it looks thick when you dip it, it will be REAL thick when you fry it. Happy eatin!

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i guess dale didn't make things clear enough.like he said,i'm not taking any sides on the issue of c&r or anything else,but there was a simple question asked,so if you(anyone)only want to continue with issues not pertaining to that question,don't bother replying at all.this kind of thing is getting to be ridcuous lately,and simple warnings don't seem to be working,so please don't push things to the point that other action is necessary.this applies to everyone.

7. Try doing them in a smoker. I did Pike once in the smoker and they were great.

8. FactuaL

FactuaL Banned

Thank you all for the replies on the batter post. I never once thought about some pancake mix. But i will give it a shot.. Thanks alot god Bless.

9. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

I must have missed something here. What does c&r have to do with fish batter?

10. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

My girl does a dip in flour, then a dip in a milk/egg mixture, then the Ritz cracker
    crumbs. Definitely the best! She's usually doing perch, but I'm sure it'll be good on pike. Now if they only prepackaged Ritz cracker crumbs....

I guess if you're C&R'ing, you got nothing to batter. :p

11. We use a mix of flour and juffy corn muffin mix. One box of mis and a cup to cup and a half of flour. Add in some chili powder, salt and pepper. Dip in milk or egg/milk dredge and then pan fry. This is our standard method at lake champlain every year. Pike is very good!

12. Keep it clean...no dipping your girl in flour milk and eggs....

13. creekcrawler

Oh, no. She's waaaaay too skinny to be rolled in flour.......
    Ooops, wrong joke.....

:p :p :p :p :p

14. I was going to have my wife try your recipe.....LOL...

Glad you took the comment in the lighthearted manner it was offered...I think the weather is making people on this forum a little sensitive latley...

15. creekcrawler

Definitely have your wife give it a shot. It is the best recipe I've ever had! It just blew my beer batter away!

Heck, the only people I offend are the ones that make the mistake of taking me seriously. :p

16. Well then try some whipped cream and a cherry. I'll try to find my recipe for banana nut bread....But don't lick the bowl.......