close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gonna need a bigger boat

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Dock Time, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Dock Time

Dock Time Senior Member

Took this whopper Great Grey Hammerhead Shark off of the coast of Ft. Lauderdale... No more swimming for me. It was estimated at well over 300 lbs and was officially measured at 10 feet long. This fish tried to bite my wife and tail whip everyone, after it was finally brought to the boat. Boy, what a fight on 80lb test line. 40 minutes and I was straining all the time.

Fish On!!!

Attached Files:

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

were yo on the boat named jaws.i believe. we went out on it out of lauderdale a long time ago specifically for sharks. caught some mullet by a bouy for bait on the way out. we ran i bait off a kite skimming the water.

3. I dont know about a bigger boat but I would need a bigger grill!

Huntinbull

4. Curious - do you eat those sharks? Any good? I know they eat them in Asian countries:confused: Shark fin soup or something is really prized.

If so, looks like you got enough for the year with that one!!!

5. CaptNate

CaptNate Pro Angler and Guide

You killed it? Why?

6. mirrocraft mike

mirrocraft mike Now in a Alumacraft

Last i checked he has EVERY right to choose what he did with the shark . I choose to c & r but that don't mean every has to. NICE Fish Bro . Bet it was a blast reeling that bad boy in . I have ate grilled shark before ( not hammerhead) and it was excellant . I see your point on releasing ,but don't rain on this guys parade

7. iceberg

iceberg meat dragger

shark steaks are exellent they smell pretty bad grilling them though kinda like bad meat LOL awesome catch congrats

8. CaptNate

CaptNate Pro Angler and Guide

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade...
    Congrats on the catch!

But considering the peril the world's shark populations are in, there aren't many people around that support keeping sharks, especially here in Florida. I'm surprised the captain that took them out wouldn't have explained that.

Hammerheads can grow to great lengths, but it takes a long time...
    An average adult is about 13-20' long and weighs 500-1000lbs.

Make sure you marinate the meat for about a day...
    Sharks urinate through their skin. If you don't marinate it, you're in for a treat! If it wasn't bled out right after you caught it, you might want to marinate even longer or rethink eating it.

9. Congratulations on one monster fish, we are thinking about heading down to the Fort. Lauderdale area since skybus is offering such reasonable rates, I caught a small hammerhead off the pier at Ft. Myers Beach a few years back on a piece of shrimp of all things(your talking about being surprised) my son also caught a small blacktip off the same pier, catching a shark on regular tackle while just out screwing around is not as rare as I once thought, in 2005 they caught like a 8ft Lemon shark off the pier at Ft. Myers as well.

10. You can stand on the beach near jupiter inlet and catch 100# spinner sharks all day long during certain times of the year.

11. mirrocraft mike

mirrocraft mike Now in a Alumacraft

Sorry Capt. No hard feelings . I know where you are coming from . I feel the same way on our Muskies .Takes a long time for them to grow that big .I bite my lip when i see wthem kept ,but it's still is a personal choice to keep or not. Just thought you jumped on the guy .

12. Dock Time

Dock Time Senior Member

Gentlemen,

Don't worry about anyone raining on my parade. I've released THOUSANDS of trout, walleye, pike, bass, muskie and numerous other species of fish over the past 20 years. This trip was a B-Day present that I have been waiting to take for 3 years and specifically to pursue, land and secure a mount to stay in my family for many generations. I paid for my license, paid $1,100 for the boat, plus plane tickets for my self and my wife from Cleveland to Florida, plus a tip for the boat crew. SO, YOU BETTER BELIEVE I WAS SIGNIFICANTLY VESTED IN MY PURSUIT OF A TROPHY AND HAD NO INTENTIONS OF RELEASING MY PRIZE. I HAVE EARNED THE RIGHT TO LOOK AT MY FISH EVERY DAY, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE AND WILL DO JUST THAT.

Fish on....and to each who doesn't break the law, their own.

13. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

when we went out we stated we did not want to mount any fish that we caught. ironically we lost 3 sharks that day due to line and knot problems????GO FIGURE

14. Awesome fish! I think I would have to build an addition on my house just for that one. Congrats!

15. Dock Time

Dock Time Senior Member

Thanks guys. And just for the record, when it was crunch time and we had the leader in hand I asked the first mate of he was capable of securing the fish at the boat for enough quick pictures and a legitimate measurement, so I could live release by myself. The answer was a very stern, NO WAY. This Shark was the full length of the transom beam at 10 feet and not at all happy about a 40 minute fight with me. They said it was simply too dangerous to mess with at close range and they were right. After they hit it with the "pop stick", which discharges a 12 gauge slug, it was still strong enough that it took 3 men to get it into the boat. Once in, it thrashed around dangerously and the tail snapped the stainless steel footrest of the fighting chair completely off. So, knowing that my pregnant wife was taking pictues while I was sweating in the chair, I think that it was a take no chances situation. I've seen guys live release smaller sharks on ESPN for shark tournaments, but they probably make more than the 1st mate.
    Enough about the Shark and catch and release. I'm back to chasing eyes tomorrow!!!

Go Cavs