close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Golfing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by elyfishingmaster, Jun 29, 2005.

1. elyfishingmaster

elyfishingmaster Junior member

i am going to start playing golf with my brothers and i bought a used set of gold clubs it came with a cart a nice wilson bag and some golf clubs(not all there and there is a lot of doubles) i was just wondering if anyone knew any good websites where i can get clubs new or used and accesseries (balls and tees) and any pointers to help get me started would really be appreciated

Thanks in advance KFM

2. Check your pm's; message sent.

3. Check ebay. Also watch the paper and check out some yard sales. Good luck playing. It's not as relaxing as everyone says it is. :)

4. I try not to look at it as relaxing. I view it as a form of exercise. Between work and all of the other obligations I try to find an excuse to get some exercise. I always opt to walk versus the cart if at all possible.

Unfortunately I have not gotten a chance to exercise yet this year on the golf course.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. elyfishingmaster

6. Here is a suggestion for you. I would not go out and spend much money right away on equipment. If I were you I would take the clubs that you have and go out and try it. Make sure it is something that you want to do on a regular enough basis to spend money on equipment. If so then you still need to have an idea what type of clubs to get. Trying some others out may give you an idea of the differences. Just like everything else there are a lot of ways to go. And for the beginner and weekend hacker there is no need to spend big money on clubs. I know guys who will spend more on a driver or putter than I have on my whole set of clubs. Granted they play a lot and it gives them more confidence but I would not be happy with myself if I stuck that much money into a bag that sat in my closet over 360 days a year.;)

7. elyfishingmaster

Thank you for the advice and help please keep your idea's coming

8. Years back I bought a cheap set of Dunlops from, I think, K Mart. I think I payed about 100-150 for them and they were a complete set of irons and three drivers plus bag. They seemed to do the job just fine as I am a definite "hacker". But I couldn't find anyone to play with and the fishing tempo was picking up so the clubs just take up room in our storage room now. lol Maybe after the wife retires the two of us can get out once and a while so I can laugh at her like she used to me whenever I'd flub a shot. lol
    I don't think I could buy a better set of clubs till I got my game into the low 90's, high 80's. I'm a ways from that. But just like fishing, to get better you have to put in the time. GOOD LUCK.

Keep an eye on area yard sales/flea markets.

If you're serious about getting better concider a lesson or two.

9. elyfishingmaster

where can you go to take lessons

10. I know Columbus Rec and Parks did them years ago for kids under 16 I think (not sure how old you are). Most any golf course or driving range might offer lessons. I know the driving range closest to me does (Hamilton Rd and Route 33 in Columbus/Groveport). Just a little heads up they are not cheap either. CRPD's lessons were free but like I said I'm not sure if they still offer them or not.

11. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Find out if you have a Golf Galaxy store in your area. They always have a big barrell of used clubs at good prices.

All you really need to start golfing is a 5, 7, 9 iron,a putter, a wedge, and some balls and tees. Don't even worry about hitting a driver off the tee yet, I didn't for my first two years.

The biggest mistake most beginners make is gripping the club too tight, and swinging to hard (trying to kill the ball).

I would strongly recommend taking lessons. You will cut through a ton of the humiliation associated with golf right off the bat.