Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that the best way to get big cats is to put a big goldfish on the hook and let it sit on the bottom, flapping around. Does anyone know if this is a better method than jsut a minnow or bluegill? what would be the best way to hook the bait?

·
Multispecies Journeyman
205 Posts
Goldfish do work some places, but to my knowledge, not any better than suckers, chubs, shad, or bluegill.... all which are common in most waters. Best to catch your bait out of the same water you're going to be fishing or a tributary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
kdog i have used gold fish for blues and shovelheads but i always rigged them on a bobber just off the bottom. to hook the fish and keep it alive just run the point of the hook under the spine and out the other side dont hit the spine or you will kill the fish.:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
As far as using goldfish as bait, I can only speak from second hand experience. My uncle used to swear by goldfish. To him there was no better bait for catfish. To expand on your question I would like to know if anyone has used them for anything like bass or saugeye.
In regards to baiting the goldfish, I am of the school of hooking them through the top. In one side and out the other. There are a few advantages to this. First you are not damaging any vital organs so the bait will stay alive longer. Second the fish will still have the ability to wiggle and move more because the hook is not impeding any movement.

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
i have tried them and don't really care for them, i have caught fish on them but not enough to justify the price. i can go out and get as many bluegill,chubs,sucker,or shad that work equally as well if not better for free.;)
yellow bellies and small carp work well also and shinners work pretty good too. i agree with slabs! match the bait with the forage and you will catch fish

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use goldfish,and israeli carp for shovelheads. I like a fish about 3 or 4 inches long. I also wound, but not kill the fish so it wobbles when it swims in a disoriented manner.Fishing about 3 or 4 feet under a cork float near stumps and deadfalls.I do well on shovelheads most summer long at night.

·
Registered
607 Posts
This time of year and until sept water levels in rivers drop,DO drops way down and water temps rise.This kills my live Bluegill so my mid summer baits are usually goldfish and bullheads.They are a lot hardier thananything else and if hooked correctly can live all night long on a hook;)
This one was caught on a goldfish a couple weeks ago

Attachments

·
Tuscarawas River Angler
2,375 Posts
i have caught flatheads on goldfish BUT for the price that you pay for them i wont use them............its alot cheaper to go get some big creek chubs or live bluegills for bait. Goldfish seem to live longer on the hook then the gills or chubs but ive caught more fish on bluegills and chubs then goldfish !!! ANY live bait i use i hook under the spine or through both lips !!

GOOD LUCK !!! :)

·
Flathead Fanatic
325 Posts
Goldfish are great Flathead bait but you have a much better chance if you're using BIG goldfish and they're usually just too expensive. I was at a local (read:downtown Columbus) baitshop that i frequent often the other day and was informed that a 7" goldfish would run me 5 bucks. No Thanks. Guess i need to stick with the cheap (and free) bait.

·
Bass Angling Guru
128 Posts
I have been fishing the Muskingum for years for flatheads and have used all the standard big live baits at one time or another - bluegills, chubs out of the inflowing creeks, and goldfish. When I was a kid, a big creek chub was the deal - all the old-timers swore by them. Since then I have seen times when all worked well, but for the past 4-5 years goldfish have definitely been the ticket. I still revert back to a bluegill now an then, but goldfish bites outnumber bluegill bites 5 to 1. My catfish time is very limited these days but we still catch several fish in the 20, 30 and 40lb class each summer, nearly all on goldlfish. Many of the anglers who fish exclusively for catfish on the river like a BIG goldfish, but I prefer one 4-6" long or so. We pay $1.50 to $2.00 a piece. They aren't cheap but as mentioned above, are extremely hardy and rarely ever die on the hook. My dad, who lives on the river, set-up a system with a fishtank aerator and a large cooler right on the river bank, and he will keep them alive for weeks. He's into maximizing his goldfish investment!

As for rigging, I've never got into the big bobber set-up common to the paylakes. I have always had the most success on a simple carolina rig, using a large slip sinker that slides freely on the main line, a swivel and then a 20" or so leader. We hook the goldfish in the tail and that leader allows them to swim freely up off the bottom. When a flat gulps it down and runs, the main line pulls through that slip sinker. We use big spinning reels with baitrunners or the older ambassadeurs with a clicker so there is no tension on the reel spool either, and make very long casts or use a small boat to run the baits out. In our section of the river they hold close to the main river channel unless the water is high, so short casts don't yield many good fish.

I'm going to be launching a few out this weekend at night in-between bass fishing the river during the day. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck to everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts