close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

going to the lmr on labor day---advice?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishintechnician, Aug 16, 2007.

1. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

:B i'm going down to the little miami on labor day weekend and would like some tips so i can actually catch some fish;) i'm coming down from central ohio about 30 minutes north of columbus. i have never fished thi river and thought i'd give it a shot. i have a canoe that i'm bringing with me. i'll be staying in morrow. any advice would be greatly apreciated. what species of fish are in this river? i have heard it's pretty good for smaliies and rockies. thanks in advance.

2. CCRiley2

CCRiley2 Bass-turd

Your going to have to deal with alot of boat traffic!
    The best spots will be flooded with cabrewers.

3. morrow is a good section you could just go there, as for species it holds everything, in morrow there are alot of smallies, sauger, some saugeye and walleye, lots o channel cats and drum, and an occasional just about anything. go out and throw small s, white curly tails, and small tubes you will catch fish. c&r please
    goodluck

4. fishintechnician

thanks for the advice. always c&r! the cats are mainly what i was wondering about. i love to bass and crappie fish, but my wife likes to cat fish so hopefully we will both be happy. thanks again for the advice. ever do any good on crappie? if so what do you catch them on

5. don't know about crappie, but if you use any craw immitation type jig that should work well.

6. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

Yep my choice be minnows (small not large) then forward weighter hooks with curly tails.( twister tails) work for me.in day time at night minnows.but then if there hungary they hit most anything.worms and the likes.I have caught them on most any small offering.but minnows are top getters.

7. fishintechnician

are there any bait store close to morgans canoe livery? thats were we are staying. is there any chance of me catching my own bait anywere. i have a sein and throw net

8. CCRiley2

CCRiley2 Bass-turd

sein might work in a few spots, but mostly the river is to big for it.
    You should be able to catch some bait with a throw net.
    I have never caught nor seen a crappie caught in LMR.
    With live bait you should be able to catch about anything.
    I would cut the bait for cats.
    Good Luck!:B

9. if you want crappies just go to cowan lake, you can catch alot of them in the lower river in the spring on jigs but in the summer they are slim pickin's. also i wouldn't bother with minnows, you'll just aggravate yourself with tiny smallmouths and gar. i have caught crappies in the morrow area in the past on small jigs about 2-3 ft under a bobber, but it is pretty rare, put crawlers on the bottom and you will be entertaind by somthing

10. fishintechnician

what about soft crawls? i have a small stream that i go and sein my own, would it be worth it to try and get spme to bring with me. i can also get some shad any good?

11. you'll catch alot of drum on softies, drift them in the right spots and you'll get smallmouths, but use circle hooks so you dont kill the fish. cut shad will get bites but i tend to do better with suckers in lmr

12. fishintechnician

is there anywere close i can get some good cut bait?

13. Red The Fisherman

Red The Fisherman River Rambler

what about soft crawls? i have a small stream that i go and sein my own, would it be worth it to try

Yes!!!

14. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

Bring some canoe repellant. There will be more canoes out that weekend than insects. Better chance of catching a cold or buzz than anything else!!

15. fishintechnician

16. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

I personally do not fish for cats in the LMR but there are plenty in there. I have "accidentially caught" 4 this year, with the biggest being a channel over 20" that busted a buzzbait...lol I was doing a float trip a few weeks ago and some fellas on the bank had a stringer FULL of nice channels and flats. They must have had 8 or so on a stringer.

17. Hey guys,
    just wanted to know if anyone could give me a few locations on the LMR that have access from the bank. Im from Milford, used to fish the LMR ALL the time, but had my equipment put away for a few years, just starting to get back into it. Ive check out a few of my old fishing locations, but river seems to have changed quite a bit since I've been out. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks