Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
I'm gonna try baby shad and live bluegill, smallies, paddlefish, sturgeon.....OK well maybe just bluegill ;)

I'll be on the Scioto tonight....I think this calls for a catfish-off between my crew and your crew?! Let me know how you do :D

·
Flathead Fanatic
325 Posts
Don't often fish the paylakes..but in general...for channels & flatheads i'd rank the baits like this...just my personal preferences.
Channels:
1. Chicken Liver (purely for numbers - see below for size)
2. Fresh Cut Shad (especially the heads)
3. Fresh Cut Bluegill (heads here too)
4. Live Chubs
5. Everything else (other live/cut bait,shrimp,etc)

Flatheads:
1. Big Live Bluegill & Warmouth (the warmouth are meaner & livelier)
2. Big Live Suckers/Goldfish/Small Carp
3. Cut Shad (Big ole hunks of it)
4. Cut Suckers/Gills/Goldfish/Warmouth

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill let you know .....for big cats i go down to the docs down the street from confluence park:D

I'm gonna try baby shad and live bluegill, smallies, paddlefish, sturgeon.....OK well maybe just bluegill ;)

I'll be on the Scioto tonight....I think this calls for a catfish-off between my crew and your crew?! Let me know how you do :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
went to fat cats caught one 10 pounder not me but a friend of mine did....i got a nice bite and that was it 8 hours out there,:F

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Don't often fish the paylakes..but in general...for channels & flatheads i'd rank the baits like this...just my personal preferences.
Channels:
1. Chicken Liver (purely for numbers - see below for size)
2. Fresh Cut Shad (especially the heads)
3. Fresh Cut Bluegill (heads here too)
4. Live Chubs
5. Everything else (other live/cut bait,shrimp,etc)

Flatheads:
1. Big Live Bluegill & Warmouth (the warmouth are meaner & livelier)
2. Big Live Suckers/Goldfish/Small Carp
3. Cut Shad (Big ole hunks of it)
4. Cut Suckers/Gills/Goldfish/Warmouth
When your fishing with the gills do you use just the heads or is that just the best part??

·
Flathead Fanatic
325 Posts
When your fishing with the gills do you use just the heads or is that just the best part??
The heads just seem to get the most action. But i use the Middle section/gut pocket too and sometimes they do pretty good also. I cut the smaller ones in 3 pieces and don't use the tail section. Sometimes i'll get 3 usuable pieces out of the larger ones.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
The heads just seem to get the most action. But i use the Middle section/gut pocket too and sometimes they do pretty good also. I cut the smaller ones in 3 pieces and don't use the tail section. Sometimes i'll get 3 usuable pieces out of the larger ones.
Thanks for the info, I used gills very briefly one night without any luck, I might try them again in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts