close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going to Fairport Tommorrow, Wed the 3rd

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by AndroDoug, Nov 2, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I am taking the day off tommorrow (man it's nice to be a private subcontractor!) to go up to Fairport Harbor long wall to try my hand at some steelies again. I am going to use the same techniques that I was shown at the outing. Maybe I'll get one this time! :rolleyes:

Am I correct to assume that this rain all day today will turn them on in the mouths? The way I figure, the steelhead are getting antsy at the lack of rain, and they will come in closer from the lake to check out the flow since they knew it rained all day! But since it won't be a blow out on the Grand, few will try and most will hang out by the wall by my maggots. Is this right to assume this?! :D Or will it be better to try some of the holes up river on either the Grand or Chagrin. I really just want to set up shop on my own little concrete-filled steel piling, so I am leaning towards the wall.

I WILL be up there, so if anyone sees me, say hi!!! :) I will be there from 6-noonish. I will be the big guy, 6'5"+ 270ish in the blue work jacket that says "Doug". I am in my early 30's. I will have a white OSU ball cap and will be with a retired friend of mine in his early 60's. Please, come up and say HI. It is always neat to put faces to screennames on this site!

KSU, Archman, Parrothead Jim, Hardwater, PYMY Bob, JohnBoy, Exexec, anyone else... PLAY HOOKIE AND COME UP THERE!!!

2. Doug, if you were going up on Thursday I could join you. From the flow charts, the rain didn't affect the rivers much, but that could change tonight. I think your best bet is out there on the long wall. The important thing out there is wind direction and finding clear water. It should be cold tomorrow, and combined with this rain, you might have a good day. Post a report when you get home. Good luck!!

3. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Hey man I wish i could..... :)

Good luck!!!! I hope you guys latch onto some steel!

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

wish i could, but i have school till 12

5. Dingo

Dingo

Best to remain flexible -- or pick a different day if possible. North winds would make the west wall fishing a bit difficult. If they shift to the east earlier than forecast, the east wall might be a better alternative. If the grand river is blown out (muddy), grab a map and look for Arcola creek to the east (a bit east of Perry). The public area is near the lakefront, and clears faster than the larger streams. If you go there, wear your waders, since the mud in the estuary area that leads to the creek is quite sloppy. Also, make sure that you don't leave the public (park) property -- a trespasser was shot on private property a few years ago.

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT

TONIGHT
    NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING NORTH. LIGHT RAIN
    LIKELY THROUGH MIDNIGHT...OTHERWISE MOSTLY CLOUDY. WAVES 1 TO 3 FEET BUILDING TO 3 TO 5 FEET.

WEDNESDAY
    NORTH WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING EAST. PARTLY CLOUDY.
    WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 3 FEET.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
    EAST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS. PARTLY CLOUDY. WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET.

6. Doug, you should have given me a little more notice. I hope you have some good luck and be carefull walking out on those wet rocks. I sent you a PM early in the week. It looks like a real good day....JIM

7. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Well... It was a disaster. A big ole waste of a day. Dingo hit it right on the money. Strong North winds were whipping Erie up in a frenzy. No way was I walking on that wall with waves splashing over the top. Miserable conditions! We took one look at the wall, and tried thinking of plan B. It was quite a difference in wind velocity once we emerged from the trees and hit the beach. I had no idea it was really that windy.

Well we decided to try Todd field instead. I knew once we got to the parking lot, I knew it was going to be no good. Only 1 car, and they were walking their dog! Decided to scope it out anyways for future use. The Chagrin is high and muddy. Current was running swift and many submerged leaves floating by. Casted a couple times and got 10 leaves each time. Walked up river aways... why is this area so popular? It doesn't look like a nice hole, merely an average looking river channel. Is the hole even father upstream? We went up to the first bend across from what looked like a xmas tree farm. Got scared to death by a beaver! We were up against a tree and the little guy was in the weeds between us and jumped off the bank into the river. Didn't even see it, scared the crap out of me!

On the way back, met Tom G from this site. He stopped by to check it out too. Maybe next time....

Dingo, where do you get those Lake Erie wind forecasts? I am going to need them next time I plan a day!

8. Dingo

Dingo

"It was quite a difference in wind velocity once we emerged from the trees and hit the beach"

Very true. I live pretty close to the lake, and many times it is calm at my house and windy at the lake. I check the forecasts at http://www.erh.noaa.gov/cle/index.php, which provides rain history by clicking your county, then '2 day history' and the marine forecast (winds).

Today's best bet would be to hit some of the real small tribs along the lakeshore. There are some holes/runs in the area of the Chargin where you walked. You just can't tell where when the river is up. That area is popular due to rather easy access and close to eastsiders.