Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our charcoal grill that mom bought 4 years ago from someone who was building them has retired quite early, it has a gaping hole in the bottom. dont get me wrong, its still usable, if human legs are on the menu for today. had to borrow some ones grill for the 4th, and its gone now. but I was outside in the backyard with whatever is left of the charcoal (quite a bit of Match light left, enough for a small grill) and I got a idea to build a pit to grill in. it might not go over so well with everyone else, but I have a feeling that if it goes well, I'll have some support. the idea is to build it without spending anything, but if I have to throw some cash at it, I will. ive got a pretty big backyard (25x15 yards) for a inner city home, so ive got plenty of space. I already know that if I do this, its going to be a decent distance away from the house, and I'd like to make it as inconspicuous as possible, to lessen the visual damage. ive got some chicken breast left over, and would prefer not to end up wasting coals or food. any tips from anyone who's done it?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Don't use cinder blocks either. The large rectangular ones used for basements. They have the tendency to explode when you build a fire in them. I found that out the hard way after a night if drinking at deer camp. Also, since your in the city you will most likely have to elevate it up off of the ground.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
just some advice...you mentioned the phrase "inner city"...might wanns check with the city firsty if your gonna try and make it permanent..most cities only allow a portable fire ring with a lid on it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Try a simple tire rim. Those things work great. I have one in my back yard and I spent 25 bucks at Menards to buy some patio pavers to put around it. It looks nice and does the trick quite well.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Try a simple tire rim. Those things work great. I have one in my back yard and I spent 25 bucks at Menards to buy some patio pavers to put around it. It looks nice and does the trick quite well.
This is the best way to handle your situation. It is not permanent and if you use patio stones stacked high enough to surround it, the fire will be totally contained and you can place a old refrigerator rack over the pit to cook on.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
This is the best way to handle your situation. It is not permanent and if you use patio stones stacked high enough to surround it, the fire will be totally contained and you can place a old refrigerator rack over the pit to cook on.
+1.....I have a couple propane, but still use my regular charcoal grill;)
and try and get one of these tripod's, I made this one, but they do sell them too

craigs list or garage sales....I have 2 stainless propane's I got at garage sales cheap...(my middle name) and only used the one once....the other was headed to my cabin but the stainless portable propane has been working good for now anyway.

the open pit on the patio I got at the flea market for 35.00(I couldn't get to my wallet fast enough)....mine is the 30in one
http://firepit.com/models.html#

the ceramic one was brand new at an auction at the top of our street....paid 40.00 for it....there are deals out there and the meat is awesome cooked on it with a couple hickory chips for the smoke

Attachments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Bill, thats exactly right with the tripods. I have one always hanging over my pit. So easy to just cook chicken, burgers, dogs, or whatever and not have to worry about the grease falling or anything. I use it camping and in my back yard.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Bill, thats exactly right with the tripods. I have one always hanging over my pit. So easy to just cook chicken, burgers, dogs, or whatever and not have to worry about the grease falling or anything. I use it camping and in my back yard.
I made that one out of stainless, use to use it all the time when cooking on an open fire, also made that fire ring pictured with it out of stainless all down at our property....at least it won't rust.....compliments of Anheuser Busch....dumpster dove for the stainless being thrown out :)

I have seen some similar to this one....there was a guy selling them down at Ceaser Creek flea market out of stainless for 40 a few years back....just the rack and not with the pit

·
Registered
499 Posts
and try and get one of these tripod's, I made this one, but they do sell them too

craigs list or garage sales....I have 2 stainless propane's I got at garage sales cheap...(my middle name) and only used the one once....the other was headed to my cabin but the stainless portable propane has been working good for now anyway.

the open pit on the patio I got at the flea market for 35.00(I couldn't get to my wallet fast enough)....mine is the 30in one

the ceramic one was brand new at an auction at the top of our street....paid 40.00 for it....there are deals out there and the meat is awesome cooked on it with a couple hickory chips for the smoke

That ceramic one you have looks like the Big Green Egg smoker. Those things are awesome. I dont personally have one but I have seen them used at graduations and such. Jonny, I saw one of the Big Green Eggs smokers sitting outside the Litehouse pools store on Arlington last week when I was out. I was gonna stop and see how much they wanted for it but I was in a hurry to get back to Childrens hospital to be with my son. Couldnt hurt to stop and see how much they want for it. I couldnt figure out why a pool store would have a smoker sitting right by their front door though.

If you do end up building one out of bricks you have to get what are called fire bricks. They are made to with stand the heat from a fire and will not crack or fall apart due to the heat, ask me how I know, lol. There is a stone place on Mogadore road that probably sells them for cheap.

·
XXX
1,063 Posts

I have one of those tripods, my dad made it when I was a kid and gave it to me a few years ago. Love that thing. Done a lot of cooking on it over the years.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
This neighborhood was built in the early 1960s, in the last years of the fashion to have a backyard bbq pit. Most were free-standing out in the yard, usually brick, sometimes handmade from fieldstone or big cobbles - basically a fireplace and chimney, and some sort of rack to cook on. Sometimes they were built into the patio.

But the fad faded away and they fell out of use. One by one they went away, though I suppose a few are left.

Somewhere I have an old James Beard grilling/bbq cookbook, and every, EVERY recipe uses butter.

·
Registered
499 Posts
This neighborhood was built in the early 1960s, in the last years of the fashion to have a backyard bbq pit. Most were free-standing out in the yard, usually brick, sometimes handmade from fieldstone or big cobbles - basically a fireplace and chimney, and some sort of rack to cook on. Sometimes they were built into the patio.

But the fad faded away and they fell out of use. One by one they went away, though I suppose a few are left.

Somewhere I have an old James Beard grilling/bbq cookbook, and every, EVERY recipe uses butter.
My neighbor right behind me has one of those big fire pit/place things that he uses to grill on. You're right though, you dont see many of them left. I plan on building one when I finally stop renting and get my own house.

·
fish breath
567 Posts
ive never thought about using a stainless washer tub for a pit. i get 2 or three of these a week and i just scrap em. theyre not the high dollar stainless but if the op would want one id give you one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts