close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going to Alum Saturday 8\14

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jaredj, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Can anyone give me any pointers for this lake? I have never fished there with my boat. Tips on what lures to use? I'll be fishing for Small and large mouth. Where is the best place to launch the boat at? Any advise for this lake would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post your secrets :) Thanks

2. Jaredj,

Just thought I'd chime in with my penny's worth..........First be prepared to huddle back in the coves on a weekend before school is in....Alum is a perfect reason why we should have school year round......HAHAHAHAHAHA!.....Maybe if its cool again this weekend, you'll luck out......But be prepared for a mess at the ramps, so it might be worth driving to each one to find a slow one......I guess the state marina on the west side has been slow.....

If the big boats are out, hit the coves.....I use spinnerbaits and cranks around brush and trees, usually pretty dependable......I don't throw a lot of plastics but probably should......If you can get out on the main lake, tubes and cranks on the points are great for smallies, and I also have caught a fair # down off the riprap rocks at the dam....maybe worth a try since it has been cooler and the rocks will hold and give off more heat than water and weed will.....same way with trees....as the decay in the water, they give off more heat and the fish hang to that.......

I like white/chartreuse/combo of the 2 spinnerbaits, and you can't beat a crawdad crank on those rocks......I usually drag the crank, I don't crank it.......meaning I drag the crank towards me.....stop and reel up slack.....and then drag it to me again.......hope this helps.........

Eric

3. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

Head WARPATH'S warning...It gets real busy. If I go in the morning I am usually out of the water around 11:30. The best time I think though is to put in around 4pm and fish until sometime after dark. You will miss most of the boat traffic at the ramps. That is the best fishing anyway. Don't even bother mid-day on the weekends.
    In the evening tubes on the rocks at Cheshire rd seem to work well, but most of the fish are small. I have been having a lot of luck w/ topwater there to and when the bite is there that is my favorite. Don't ignore the coves w/ the boat ramps either (Cheshire and Africa RD)
    Make sure to try topwater (buzzbaits or jitterbugs) it won't take long to know if they will be hitting them or not. If not then I reccomend tubes (I have been having the best luck w/ gold when the water is clear). I will probably be out in my old Skeeter so holler if you see me :) Good luck

4. any other hints tips I should try? Thanks all

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I'll be there from 6pm till midnight or so...the BEST time to be on that lake during the summer. What time you headed there?

6. I was think in the morning. 5am or so Until evening or burned out,:)

7. Man O Man Jaredt, didn't you heed what all uf us told you?????? If you fish that place during the day on the weekends you will be bounced around like a ball in a tub. Probably get into a fight or two with some jerks on a ski-doo too. Let alone sitting at the ramps trying to get in and out.

Alum is noted for the JERKS on the weekends with their jet ski's and LARGE boats. Can't hardly fish anything but coves. Lake is too rough to fish with too much traffic and inconsiderate morons. Really man.

BTW, Shakedown, I wil go Sat evening around 6ish. I'll call you to make sure man. :D

8. R we still on for Saturday evening?

(pending rain and bad weather of course)

I am SO, SO, SO, MAD. I was going to gas up last night for $1.67 at Kroger here in Powell and I said, no, I'll get it in the morning. This a.m. it was $1.93. I hauled gas for 4 years man and there is NO way that the prices jump that much. NEVER. We had our bills with us and we saw the wholesale prices to the dealers. I'm telling you all, no way. But, we are trained now to supposedly accept it. So, nobody really gripes about it. Disgusting.

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

iam with you on that trucked, and isn't the gas in the tank under the gastation already paid for at the rate at which it was delievered. I got gas today in mansfield for $1.77 the line was forming quick and i was 3 cars back when the guy came out and flipped the sign to $1.89 a 12 cent jump while i was waiting they did give everyone that was in line before the change the $1.77 price.

10. Do you think with this cold front, all the boaters will be out? I'll still give it a shot until 11 am or so

11. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Hey fish4fun & trucked.... you guys are absolutley right... i mean how the hell can they buy in so many thousands of gallons at X amount one day, and then seel the same delivery of gas at exasperated prices the next day, its the same dam gas they had delivered the day before, just because a barrell of oil goes up the next day, has no effect on the gas already produced and delivered to the pumps... we are being taken for a ride....

Coming from Ireland, where the gas prices are already around 4 or 5 times higher than here, they dont and wont raise prices overnight, if a price increase is coming, you know about it via the national press perhaps a week or so in advance, if prices jumped around like they do here (using the excuse they use) People in Ireland & The UK wouldnt stand for it...