Going Out East

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by fishinbula, Dec 7, 2007.

1. fishinbula

fishinbula Its going under

Anybody heading out east this weekend? I will probably be out on saturday around 730. Anybody still wearing breathable waders? If so how do you keep your feet warm? That is my only problem. Any info would be great and if your planning on heading out east let me know.

2. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

I wear my breathables all winter long. I wear a thin pair of polypropylene wicking sock then two pairs of merino wool socks. As you probably know the key is to make sure you have wiggle room in your boots. Cotton socks have 0 insulating properties so stay away from them. My feet still get cold but I move around a lot especially when I’m not into any fish. Cabelas has a pair of electric wading socks that I’m looking to get. Don’t know if they’ll work but for 25 bones it’s worth the shot.

http://http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0005479820755a&navCount=1&podId=0005479&parentId=cat600967&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat600967_TGP&catalogCode=XH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600967&hasJS=true

3. That might be a little too early to head out. I was planning on heading out at sunrise too, but there's a ton of skim ice on the rivers that early. I think I'll wait until 11am to start fishing.

btw- yeah, I wear by breathables all year. Just make sure you dress warm enough underneath.

4. fishinbula

Thanks for the info guys and I know about the skim ice but if you fish certain areas you can work around it plus I don't think its calling for that cold of a night tonight.

5. Ken, I wear these long socks from Cabelas. If you want I can send you the link. The important things is that it's not cotton, and you have plenty of room in the boot. My feet are so much warmer this year when I went up to a size 11 from a 10 (I wear a size 9 shoe). Your feet need circulation!

6. fishinbula

Thanks archman, My boot is big enough its just haven't found a warm enough sock yet. I have seen those in the cabelas website was thinking about ordering them until them i think its going to be a cold one.

7. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

a couple of those chemical handwarms in the socks help as well