Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
at ease
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was fishing the rocks at lorain for bass,casting a spinner tipped with a worm. got what i found out was a small goby. As I was reeling him in a 4lb large mouth grabbed him. that was fun. found the goby still hooked in his mouth. So my question is why doesn't anyone sell gobys for bait? I know they are considered invasive but they are in the lake and i know the bass have adapted and eat them. Im sure other predators must eat them also.
Just wondering if the laws about invasive species prevent selling them as bait.
Related question, how long do you think a species has to be in the lake before it is not considered invasive? I dont think the gobys are going anywhere soon.

·
Set The Hook!
2,175 Posts
Its illegal to posess them. So if you are using them for bait they are in your possesion and illegal

There are companies that make soft plastic Goby imatation baits

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Brick,

I asked the ODNR the same question a few years back and they said that they will not allow them to be used as bait for fear of them being transported to inland lakes. I can see where they are coming from. Orlando is correct< Gobies are illegal to posess.

Wes

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Illegal because you will have people trying them out in other lakes for fishing, they get loose or they dump them into the lake, now that lake has them and so on, and so on, just like the zebra mussels

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have used a Goby swim bait for small mouth and they tear them up. I have heard they eat young small mouth and get in the nest's when they spawn. I think thats why they are so affective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts