close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gmr

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tall cool one, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Fished the DNA stretch last(Dinks Not Allowed). Was thinking the rain would inspire a good bite but no doing.I was too late. The water was up about 4" and running clearer from the rain. Went through several change-ups before I got bit,a nice 17" smallie that took me on the scenic tour of the pool before I could lip it in the tailout of the pool.
    Fished for another half an hour and no other bites so I switched to a silver n' blue deep running shad and hooked another smallie that hit just above where a log was across two lrg rocks and,would'nt'cha know it,she goes downstream at full steam and under the log and out the back. I tried reefin' on her to pull her back up but she was going in some heavy water so I waded out to the log,passed my whole rod under the log,grabbed it on the other side,came tight and landed her just below the fast water.Another 17"er that was tiger striped and red-eyed. The 1st one was mostly olive/gold in color. I've always wondered why smallies are like that. In one lake all the LM's are pretty much the same but in one river,such as the GMR I catch ones that are dark(classic gmr fish),some tiger striped and some gold/olive.Keeps it interesting if nothing else.No other bites rest of the evening. Judging by the debris line on the banks it looked like the river peaked from that thuderstorm well before I got there.Timing is everything. Getting there as the river is on the rise from one of those storms and the bite is usually pretty good. Both fish I landed had big,bulging stomachs that looked to be pretty much full already,guess they couild'nt resist one last bite...he he.TC1