GMR water levels

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by auglaizewader, Jul 31, 2008.

1. My youngest is finally old enought to be life-jacketed and hit the canoe for some family fun.

We are usually in the Auglaize River, but it is a little low this time of year. We are close to Wapakoneta. Anyone been to the GMR betwen Sidney and Piqua? I thought maybe this would be far enough downstream to provide good canoeing water.

I see a lot of guys talking about the GMR, but I have not fished it yet myself. Hoping to get into some canoe fishing without driving too far.

2. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

The water flows,clarity etc are perfect for a float right now. Once the USGS gauges show it to be lesss'n 100cfs it starts getting into a lot of dragging over the riffles.Don't forget your pole,thats good saugeye and smallie water w/ an occaisional pike thrown in.TC1

3. Thanks TC1. That is the exact kind of info I was hoping for. I knew about the USGS site, but I never had a number to help make it understandable.

We may try it this weekend. Miami conservancy website had some nice info on launch points, etc.

4. Muskie Hunter

Muskie Hunter All Species Trophy Hunter

Between Sidney and Piqua is good water, lots of smallies, with big pike and saugeye in deeper holes. I fish this stretch alot. You can put in at Roadside park just south of Sidney on 25A. A lot of this stretch is pretty shallow, may have to drag the canoe a bit in spots.

Good Fishing,
    John