close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR - university of dayton?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dmbfanatpsu, Nov 22, 2004.

1. My GF goes to University of Dayton and I have fished the river by the campus(i think it's called the Great Miami River). I'm new to the SW Ohio area so I was wonder if that river produces any catfish and if anyone has fished in that general area. The river doesn't seem to be real deep either? Does this river have any real deep spots(like 15+ feet)?

2. catking

catking Banned

First of all welcome to the Ohiogamefishing site. You being a member is appreciated and we thank you for registering. Now for the GMR. EXCELLENT fishery !! Just go back a few pages in this SW section and you will see alot of action on this river. Huge cats, carp, white bass, etc. Don't be fooled. Yes, there are holes in this river. But alot of big cats, especially in the spring and early summer, don't need but a few feet of water ;) Like I mentioned, read some back files. There are alot of members who fish this river..... CATKING

3. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

dmbfanatpsu,

On down towards West Carrolton are some 20 foot holes, big Channel cats in that part of the river, I only fish it during the spring and only during daylight hours, tough to pull a boat when the tires are missing from your trailer and truck, big Flats in there too..........Doc

4. Welcome to the site! Like Doc said, there are many of us that fish this river. I fish it year round, but especially spring to fall for big flatties and channels. You are always welcome to join me for some cat or carpin.

5. I fished the northern GMR on Sat and Sun both. I was into the saugeyes on Sat, but on Sun. I only got 3 but they were all 3# plus. This is a very good area of water to fish. Just find yourself a nice deep pool. Glenn

6. O.K. Another question as I"m trying to familarize myself with SW Ohio....is the GMR and the Little Miami River the same river? If not, does the GMR empty into the Ohio River anywhere. I"ve fished the LMR where it empties into the Ohio River and I"ve fished the GMR in Dayton. Is this the same stream of water?

7. The Great Miami river and the Little Miami river are two separate rivers that enter the Ohio at two separate points. The GMR is to the west of Cincy, the Little Miami to the east.

8. catking

catking Banned

This river is an EXCELLENT fishery also. It has a paved bike/walking path that runs from Milford to above Morrow. That is quite a ways ( maybe 40 miles of path) and there are several places along it's route that you can park your car and hike down to the river from this path. Loveland, Morrow, Foster just to name a few. ....CATKING

9. Is "Milford - Loveland" in the cincinnati area or the dayton area - are you talking about the GMR or the LMR? Thanks for the info!

10. catking

catking Banned

Sorry about that. Got carried away. This is down in my area ( Towards Cincinnati) The little miami area up north is also a great place to fish. I believe Walter Atkins in this section ( SW) fishes there alot, and has posted some great catches of smallies. Look for his threads. CATKING

11. Ok hopefully this isn't asking too much.......LOL. The spot I was fishing on the LMR was close to where it empties into the Ohio. There is like a small area where people can launch canoes. I got to this spot by taking I think(Highway 52?) Sorry I'm fairly new to Cincinnati. Could you possibly give some simple directions to where this paved path is where I can access the river. much appreciated.

12. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Loveland and milford are on the northeast side of cincinnati.

13. catking

catking Banned

Here are a few directions to the path. Get onto 275 and head to the Loveland exit. Turn and head towards Loveland. There is a park in Loveland called " Nisbit Park" You will see the river and bike path. Just stop and ask anybody where the park is, be easier to do that than to type all the roads :D ........ Also you can take the Montgomery Road Exit off 275 ( next one by Loveland's exit) Take 22-3 east for about 5-6 miles and as you head down the hill, turn left on old 3cc road. Cross over the little miami river and turn left. Go about 1/4 mile and on the left is a nice park with river access. But before you cross the bridge, there is also parking there and the bike trail crosses the road there. You cannot miss it........... CATKING.

14. All this info is very much appreciated. I grew up in Erie,PA and fished Lake Erie(which it isn't to hard to find fishing spots on such a big lake) unlike some of the spots on the rivers down here in SW Ohio. Thanks once again.