Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out of town last weekend and was itching to get out fishing in this nice weather. Went to a quite spot that has a nice long pool that is relatively calm. Water is getting nice and warm and was pretty clear with 2-3 feet of visibility. Started off with Rebel craw (surprise) and caught a little smallmouth on second cast in the little ripple at the top of the pool. Started wading down and heard a big splash about 40 yards away from an area that is shallow and mucky. I usually attribute this to carp from that spot, but just sounded a little different. Put on the only top water I had, which was a black Heddon Torpedo (old school) and throw out into the shallow mucky area near where I hear d the splash. On my second cast into this area, I saw the flash just as a pike smashed my topwater coming entirely out of the water:) Absolutely awesome, I live for these moments! Pike was only 19" so fight was short and sweet. Got a quick picture and a successfull release. Wish I had someone with me for a better pic. This one was using timer with camera set on a log. Ended up with 3 dink smallmouth and a pike.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=44472&cat=500

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Man I bet that was fun!!! Nice fish!!

·
Elroderator
477 Posts
Great fish, you always seem to pull one out! I wish I could fish the river like you...

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great fish, you always seem to pull one out! I wish I could fish the river like you...
All you need is an understanding wife, a pair of waders and the inclination to get out often. I don't think I can fish any better than anyone else who has been doing it for a couple years, but I do spend time on the water. This time of year, I am getting out at least 4 times a week. Mostly a couple hours after work in the evening with at least one longer wade on the weekends. The magic formula is really very simple...

Lot's of time on the water = Lot's of fish :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts