Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late report but I guess its better than no report at all. Tool the kayak out for only the third time this year.I put in at a spit i used to fish all the time but haven't made it to recently. I had a particular hole in mind when I launched nd was dissapointed to see a couple guys fishing it as I paddled close to it. So I turned around and drifted down stream instead. I only managed a few small fish inclising a 10 inch saugfish. I have been fishing this stretch of ri er for over a decade, but this was the first time with the fishfinder mounted to my yak. I have waded through there in years past and always imagined that ot was lizlttle more than chest deep in spots. But I found seversl holes that dropped to more than 16 feet! Needless to say I now have somwle nee cat fish spots!

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
That's pretty cool about finding those deep holes. I've been putting off buying a fish finder for the yak, but hearing stuff like that makes me determined to get one and install it. I want to know what's going on down there.

Which one did you get and would you recommend it?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Isn't it cool to see the depth and bottom changes and tie that data to what the surface and current look like? First time on the river with a depthfinder was an eye-opener for sure.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the fish finder in my garage. I don't even remember buying it. Its pretty plain. Black and white, cheap Eagle Cuda IIRC. It gets the job done though. What really interesting is the fact that i could wade through those spots 6-7 years ago! It amazing how the current changes this down there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts