close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR smallies

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bronzebacker, Mar 6, 2005.

1. bronzebacker

bronzebacker Crickjumper

Has anyone braved the river (GMR) for smallies yet? Can't monitor the situation as well now that I live in Columbus!!!

2. No, not yet. I would think the water is still too cold. By the way, do you fish the Big and/or Little Darby Creeks?

3. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

I waded the GMR in Middletown for a few hours yesterday with no success. The water seemed a little high with a strong current and clear. I tried tubes, jigs, and a spinner, all in dark colors. Does anyone know where to get a parking permit for the Miami River Preserve parking lot or better yet another place to legally park along this stretch of river? Anyone else fish for smallie this weekend?

4. bronzebacker

bronzebacker Crickjumper

Hey Hellgramite, I drive SW to do all my fishing. The only place I fish around Columbus is Alum Creek. Being from Fairfield, my "home" creeks are Twin creek, 4 mile and 7 mile creek. It's nice to fish where you know. Worth the 2 hour drive!!

By the way, last year I caught a 5# smallie at the end of Feb in the river- there was ice on the rod tip and snow in the air!!

5. A 5lb smallmouth is a real trophy from a stream. I have chased river smallmouth for the last 50 years all around Indiana and SW Ohio. I have only caught 3 smallies over 5 lbs. and saw about that many more. My largest was 6lb. 7oz. from a northern Indiana stream in 1989. My largest last year was 4lb 1oz. I released all of them. I hope the 4lber survived the floods and winter. I hope to hook it again this summer.

The Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources shocked most of the rivers and streams in the mid 90's and only found 2 over 4lb and no 5lb+. This indicates to me that a 5lber, at least in Indiana streams, is a real rarity.

6. Hey Bronzebacker, let me know when you are down this way. I live in Middletown and fish all of your "home" rivers and I am looking for a wading partner to hit up the smallies before the real cat season starts. Floater, I will gather a bit of info for you on parking areas on the gmr.