Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the canoe as far up the river as I could, going 2.5 to 3 miles upstream. The plan was to make it that far and then wade and walk the woods another couple hundred of yards to a hole I haven't fished in awhile and maybe hit another hole while I was up there. I only carry one rod with me and I have the chartreuse and white spinnerbait on. I reach this hole after some work and start fan casting for awhile. It takes a bit but I tie into a nice smallie that never breaks the water and stays down the whole time. It measures out just under 16 inches ( 1st pic below ). Nothing more after that so I move up to the next hole a rocky stretch with some current. I am only able to pull a dink out of there, so I had back to the first hole and start fan casting again. After several casts, I make a long cast into a shaded area and by the time I clicked the bail and made one crank on the reel the rod was doubling over. The fish just boils the water out in the middle of the river. It is a tough fight but I manage to drag the fish onto shore. It is a fat smallie just under 17 inches. ( 2nd pic below ). The late afternoon bite is looking pretty good or so I thought. I make it back to the canoe and I continue to throw the spinnerbait through the next couple of stretches....nothing. Then I start casting the nest robber rebel craw...nothing. Then on my first cast again with the spinnerbait my line goes over a limb but I shake it off of there and bring it back in and catch a 12 incher. So I stick with the spinnerbait again but it wears me out and I am not getting a hit. So back to the rebel craw. I try the ditch color....nothing. I keep moving further downstream and nothing is biting. I try the chartreuse rebel craw since the spinnerbait had some chartreuse, why not...nothing on that either. Go about 2 miles in the canoe and only caught that one 12 incher. I switch the rebel craw again to the green moss color and I am still not getting any hits. I am starting to think that I am going to be skunked using the rebel craw for over a 2 mile stretch of the river. That never happens in these water conditions. Finally in the last half mile I catch a solid 15 incher on the rebel craw. 10 casts later a nice leaping 14 incher. Now that is more like it. In the next stretch with some good current I get into what feels like a big fish behind the canoe, but then I am snagged and the reel drag is screaming because the current is pulling the canoe. Then all of a sudden my snag moves to the left and I still have a fish on and it is a nice fish, another 16 incher on the rebel craw. Finished the night off with one more dink on the rebel craw that was maybe 4 inches.
So I didn't catch very many fish and covered a lot water without any hits, but I did manage to catch 5 nice ones.

Fish on............

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
way to give a ful report, love all the details. not a bad evening at all, the two fish in the pics i bet were alot of fun.

·
Obsessed
177 Posts
Those are both nice fish, but that second one is a beaut! How bad is it paddling upstream? I've been dying to float the river in my new kayak, but I can't seem to get my buddy to come with me so I was considering trying to paddle upstream and float back down...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are both nice fish, but that second one is a beaut! How bad is it paddling upstream? I've been dying to float the river in my new kayak, but I can't seem to get my buddy to come with me so I was considering trying to paddle upstream and float back down...
It all depends on the current. The section I did the current does not run too hard and when I get to rapids I get out and drag the canoe up the river and then jump back in on top of the rapids. Having the wind in your face doesn't help either, but it is doable. It should be easier in a yak.

·
Prefer Catchin to Fishin
217 Posts
good effort and report. Second fish was pretty fat. I know the feeling when the current is taking you and you have a fish on. Pretty strenuous!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts