Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out for a little bit in the late afternoon after work yesterday. Water levels continue to remain low, which is where I like the levels to be, fishing is so much better at this level than at any other level. Water clarity also remains the same, I don't think it will be totally clear until late fall at this rate. Decided to fish out in the backyard last night, just messing around throwing the balck and red buzzbait the whole time. Started off getting a few in the 10 to 12 inch range and then a few more in the 14 inch range. The largest smallie was 15 inches. Ended up catching 8 total. It was a pretty good late afternoon for just messing around out back. Had a few other fish blow up on the lure but somehow they missed it. Not sure why it is so difficult for them to eat something moving that slow on the surface. I would assume that fishing will be good this weekend, weather should be fairly stable and comfortable.

Fish on............

Attachments

·
Optimistic
144 Posts
I sure am glad that I'm not the only one who misses them with the buzz!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I didn't miss them, they missed the lure. If you keep a steady retrieve on and a fish takes a swat at the lure and you do not move the lure and keep at the same pace and never feel the fish that means the fish missed the lure. Now if I would have had a knee jerk reaction and tried to set the hook or pulled the lure away from the fish before I felt the weight of the fish on the line then I would consider I missed the fish. In this case the fish missed the lure. There is a difference. You must always remain calm, continue to move the lure in its regular pace during a hit and once the weight of the fish is felt, set the hook. Typically they hook themselves, you just need to set the hook a little harder to make sure the hook is set well.

·
Optimistic
144 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I think I was definitely pulling it away from them. I'll work on being more zen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts