Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a late start on Saturday morning, way too many Buds last night I guess. Didn’t get started until 10 AM. Took the canoe down to the river with me. Started out about a mile downstream from the house. I was throwing the brown rebel craw at first and didn’t have any action on the first stretch. So I decided to make the “big switch”  over to a moss colored rebel craw. Still no action with it either. I stopped at a likely spot where the river shallows into a “V” in the middle of the river. I got out of the canoe and waded the area. Still nothing going on. On my walk back to the canoe I was casting and picked up 2 quick and decent rockbass, not a smallie but at least I wasn’t skunked any longer. I continued my float down the river; it wasn’t until I reached the bridge at about the halfway point of my float before I hooked into a 13 inch hard pulling smallie right next to the canoe. The second half of the float was a lot better than the first part. I managed to pick up 6 more fish around a boulder field down river. The biggest was a nice 15 inch fish that came out of the water a few times. Most of the smallmouth ran in the 10 to 12 inch range with a couple of dinks mixed in. I caught 7 smallies total and 5 rockbass. Not too bad considering the late start. Then I paddled back up river and headed for home.

Sunday morning I drove up river about 3.5 miles, then walked back down river about .5 miles and started wading back up river until I reached my truck. I am throwing the moss colored rebel craw again. It worked well yesterday, so why not keep with it. The first hole I manage to catch 2 smallmouth, the biggest of the 2 was about 12 inches. As I am moving up to the next hole there are two boulders that sit in some fast current and the water level is about 1.5 to 2 feet deep. I make a cast between the two rocks and I feel like I have one on right away and then it is gone and then the next second the rod is almost literally ripped from my hands. I had to take a couple of steps forward to keep the line from snapping. Not sure why, but my drag was hardly letting out any line. Should have checked that before I started casting. Sometimes the drag will harden up if you know what I mean. So once this fish stops moving up stream, it bolts downstream into some main current. I can’t do anything with this fish in fear of snapping my line. It just sat out in the current and kept thumping away as it pulled. It sure felt like a big samllie. My heart was also thumping. I decide to go into the river current after this fish keeping pressure on it the whole time. Then the worst thing happened, the lure just comes free. Talk about being heart broken. I never saw the fish come up once, but big smallies are known to stay down and just pull and thump away. I sure wish I could have seen for sure that it was a smallmouth. It is hard to put any pressure and horse a fish in like this when you are using a 5 foot light weight rod. I can guarantee you this I will be casting at those boulders again this week. So now dejected after missing that fish and casting that same spot again, I move up the river about 20 yards. I get snagged on the other side so I have to move over there and retrieve my lure. There is a downed tree in the water over there so I make a few casts along it. I hook into a fish and it feels ok, but it is running downstream towards me so I have no idea how big it is. Then when it gets to me, it turns and starts pulling drag. Of course I have my drag a little looser now. It makes a couple of good runs and it takes me some time to land the fish. It is a nice 16 inch fish that has some real healthy color to it. It didn’t make me forget about the one I had just lost, but I feel better. I manage one more dink out of this hole and move onto hole number 3. There is a creek that flows into hole number 3 and it usually produces some fish. I made a lot of casts in this hole and was only able to produce one fish, but it was another nice 16 inch fish that had both trebles stuck in it. So I was able to play this fish out and drag it up on shore. I couldn’t lip the fish, too many hooks in the way. I moved up to hole number 4 and caught a nice 13 inch smallie on the first cast right above some riffles. Only managed one more fish, a rockbass from this area. Moved up to the last hole and was skunked there. Waded back to the truck and went home hoping to watch the Nascar race but it got rained out. So while I was sitting there doing nothing in the afternoon I decided to go out back and do some more fishing. I walked about a half mile up river and started wading. Caught a decent 12 incher in the first hole, but nothing else for a while. The next hole up I was skunked. The third hole I was able to catch 3 more fish. One little smallie, one rock bass and one fish that looked like a giant creek chub. I moved to the last hole for the afternoon and managed another 12 incher and a dink and then I was done for the day.

So at least some of the bigger fish seem to be hitting on crawdads for the last few days. Hopefully this trend will continue.

Fish on……………

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It floats when it lands on the top of the water, but dives down 2 - 4 ft. when you crank it. I guess that is the answer you are looking for. I don't think they make them in a sinking version do they?

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
I don't think they make them in a sinking version do they?

You are correct QueticoMike...the Rebels are only floating or suspending (the deep teeny wee). Congrats on a couple good days on the river!!

·
should slow down
115 Posts
ok yes i know im a newb on this board but ive lived franklin and miamisburg most of my life and i have no clue what gmr is

·
should slow down
115 Posts
Great miami river.. i just got it after i saw LMR i believe thats what it is i think

·
LMR Master Angler
940 Posts
I had to take a nap while reading your report but nice report...lol I think I read the sports page today quicker....lol

I hate when I lose a fish I dont see, happened to me last year on a PIG. Probably a carp or Drum, but it fought alot like a smallie so that is what I am going with....hehe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts