Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the river last night after work. Drove down river to a bridge and then walked about another 1/2 mile to a little pool about 1.5 to 2 feet deep with a riffle at the top of the pool. Water clarity was a lot better than I expected and the water levels are typical for this time of the year. Started out throwing the ditch colored rebel craw. This is the first time I have tried fishing without any type of bandage on my cut thumb. The thumb is still tender, but I was able to reel OK. Got into a dink right away. Then a few casts later my line got screwed up and while I was fixing my line and just stating to bring my lure back a smallie about 10 inches grabs my lure, but I had way too much slack in the line still and he spit the lure. While still standing in the same spot I hook into something that felt like a snag for a millisecond, then realized it was a fish and thing almost ripped my 5 foot light action rod out of my hand. If I didn't see this fish I would swear it weighed 3 pounds. After a good fight and drag pulling, I am able to lip this fish ( first fish I have lipped with the bad thumb in over 3 weeks ) . This fish is only slightly over 14 inches and weighs around half as much as I thought when I first hooked into it. Still standing in the same spot I hook into 2 more little smallies on consecutive casts but both of them spit the lure after a nice leap. I moved out of this first hole to a spot with some current running around a weed bed with a decent hole behind it. I am to get another one that is about 12 inches. I then move up to spot # 3 and don't have any action until I get to the end of the hole. I hook into a fish about 14 or 15 inches long, and I have it hooked for a good period of time but it finally pulls loose of the lure. At least I got to see the fish. Didn't want to lip that fish with my bad thumb anyways...haha.
I saw a decent strike on top so I switched to a black buzz bait for awhile but didn't have any takers. After that I got hungry and went home to eat something. The first hour of fishing was pretty good. The last half hour experimenting with buzz bait was fruitless. Maybe things are taking a turn for the better now.

Fish on.............

1 - 1 of 1 Posts