Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to give the black buzzbait a rest and go back to the old standard, the Ohio Special, also know as the "ditch" colored rebel craw. I knew it was going to be a good day when I caught 5 fish in the first 15 minutes from the same hole. 2 of them were 14 inchers and one fat rockbass that had to go a pound. I was using my 5 foot light rod so every fish felt like a good one.It seemed almost every spot I hit was holding fish. There were three good spots mostly in the quarter mile wade. The first hole was shallow fast moving water. The second hole was wide open with some weeds along the shore. The third spot had a lot of big rocks. The biggest smallie was around 15 inches ( posted below ). All of the fish were caught on the same rebel craw. Ended up catching 29 total for the outing. 17 smallmouth, 12 rockbass and 1 channel cat that put up a fight comparable with a smallmouth. Mid-summer classic pattern, if you aren't throwing something with a crawdad pattern you should switch. Full moon tonight so fishing should continue to be good over the weekend. I'm not going to get much fishing in, I will be to busy watching cars go in circles up at Eldora for the King's Royal :) Sure was a fun late afternoon on the river. I tried hard to catch that 30th fish but just couldn't. If I would have caught all the smallmouth that jumped off of my lure before I could land them I would have had 35 fish easy.

Fish on...........

Attachments

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
that's a dirty trick to convice everyone to throw a black buzzbait and then go catch all the smallies with a rebel craw. :D

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's a dirty trick to convice everyone to throw a black buzzbait and then go catch all the smallies with a rebel craw. :D
It does kind of sound that way doesn't it :) I had been throwing that buzzbait for 5 days straight and my arm was worn out from using the bigger rod, reel and lure and I needed to take a break. It was fun fishing with a little 5 foot light rod though, because those 14 and 15 inchers feel like 17 and 18 inchers on my other rod. Lots of action that is for sure. Hopefully if I get some spare time this weekend I will get in a little more fishing. Might have to start throwing the zulu now to throw everyone off....haha.

Fish on.........

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Just search all of queticomike and sconnors posts and you will have all the info you will ever need when it comes to river fishing.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any tips for a beginner river fisherman?
Fish the river as much as possible. The best way to learn where the fish are is to cover a lot of water and let the fish show you where they hang out. The river is always changing so a good place to fish right now might not be so good come fall or spring time. Same with lures, some that are working good now will not work during different seasons. Like most people here I started by using live bait, craws, nightcrawlers, and minnows. If you use live bait starting out you will at least figure out where fish are during the season. Once you determine where they are and what they like to eat during that part of the season, then transition into throwing similar lures in that general area. If you are looking for smallies, fish structure, rocks, down timber, points, weedlines, and eddies right now with either a crawdad or a lure that looks like a craw, be it a crankbait or soft plastic. Once fall hits move towards more of a creek chub \ shad patttern. As it was mentioned go back and look at the old posts and see what people were catching them on and when they were catching them.
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything.

Fish on..........

·
Optimistic
144 Posts
Mike - what brand of buzz bait do you like?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike - what brand of buzz bait do you like?
I like to throw Booyah buzzbaits, great quality construction that can take a beating and don't fall apart. You want one with a dependable blade that will not wear out qucikly. If you are going to throw a buzzbait, throw one that cost a little extra, it is well worth it. I like throwing black, but will also throw white and chartreuse at times.

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
I love Booyah products. Their spinners seem to hold up really well over time.

Mike: Thanks for all of the informative posts. You really have boosted my success on the rivers over the last 2 years. While I think the zulu one was better, I was bored at work today so I made you another sig:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
i have used Rebel craws in the past, caught a few on them but havent done any better than any other lure. never tried the "bounce off rocks" trick though, may have to give that a shot! take it you use big lip/deep diving rebel craws?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have used Rebel craws in the past, caught a few on them but havent done any better than any other lure. never tried the "bounce off rocks" trick though, may have to give that a shot! take it you use big lip/deep diving rebel craws?

I just use the ones that run 2 to 5 feet deep. I don't typically fish water much deeper than that most of the time, well the river is never deeper than that unless it is flooded. Shallow water cranking it off the rocks will trigger strikes, you might get hung up every now and then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts