Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up north and floated down river with my buddy Fred on Sat. Fishing with a green rebel craw at first and then switching to a brown one later. The water clarity was good at first, but then you can see it slowly change over time to a root beer colored scum that was floating down river. My buddy used spinner baits most of the time. I ended up loosing more than I caught. I think I ended up with 4 total, 3 smallies and a rockbass. Nothing bigger than 12 inches. I lost some really nice bass. I lost 5 fish and if I would have caught them then I would have had at least a decent day. Not sure what was going on, they would either spit the lure or they would just come off. They just weren't sucking the bait in I guess, just short striking the lures. My buddy only caught 2 fish, one small channel and a dink smallie.

Went out Sunday morning for a little bit of wading north of the house. Saw some guys floating down the river who said they hadn't caught anything.
After about 15 or 20 casts I get into my first fish using a brown rebel craw. This fish hits about 10 feet away and is pulling harder than any smallie I have hooked into at the river this year. It comes out of the water 4 times and swims circles around me for a time period until it finally wore out. This fish didn't want to give up. It was a 16 inch fish that weighed around 2 pounds, but it was fighting like a 3 pounder. Caught a channel cat a short time later that went 1.5 pounds. Hit a couple more holes and managed another nice 14 incher and a dink smallie. Then the sun came out and I didn't have another hit.

Cut my left thumb pretty bad on a piece of broken glass last night, so it might be a while before I am able to reel again. I'm glad the fishing is slow right now, I'm not missing much.

Fish on............

·
Just keep casting ...
170 Posts
Great report! Thanks for sharing. Hope that thumb heals quickly!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have to say that's what it was. But I sure don't ever remember it being colored like that, it was kind of weird don't you think. Before I got to where the water was stagnant, you really couldn't see this stuff except there was a line of it running down the middle of the river. I didn't notice the line running down the middle of the river until we stopped for a break. At first I thought it might be some mud we kicked up while paddling, but it never stopped coming down the river and as soon as we reached an area that didn't have a good water flow, it started to bubble up root beer colored scum pockets. I might have to go look after work even though it doesn't matter, it might be a little while before I go again. I guess I could try fishing left handed, I've done that before when I had some other issues to deal with. It sure is weird trying to set the hook and reel with the opposite hand.

Fish on........

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have experienced the same "rootbeer colored" water in the four and seven mile creeks, and the GMR around Hamilton of course. After reading the perceptions of the few OGF'rs, here is what i've come up with.

Most farmers have planted if not are planting corn right now. That combined with the hard rains has caused a non-point source pollution due to agricultural-chemical runoff. The increase in nutrient levels would almost certainly cause algae bloom. Moreover, the waterscum (foam) says chemical.

See my point? The combination of chemical fertilizers being applied recently with an unusualy hard rain (up to five inches in just a few hours in some locals) equalls rootbeer river with algae bloom. What do ya think? :eek:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Most farmers have planted if not are planting corn right now. That combined with the hard rains has caused a point source pollution due to agricultural-chemical runoff. The increase in nutrient levels would almost certainly cause algae bloom. Moreover, the waterscum (foam) says chemical.
I've been thinking exactly that. It makes alot of sense. Lots of phosphorous must have been washed into the waterways. The questions now is how long will the algae survive? It is depleting oxygen and setting off a chain of events that will impact all of the aquatic life. There are hopefully alot of fry swimming around from the recent spawn, but they might be very sensitive to this. The fishing reports were dismal before this happened, so we don't need this.

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Did a little poking around in wikipedia and everything I read supports the concept of phosphorus run off from farm fields as the culprit. It does go on to say the oxygen depletion comes from bacteria that thrives as the algae starts to die off. It did not mention rivers in discussion, but I guess we can just hope and pray the quick water turn over minimizes the impact in any given area and that this passes quickly without much collateral damage to the fish. I assume the river will start to have a little bit of a putrid smell as the algae starts to die off and the impact would be greater further downstream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algal_bloom

·
master angler
149 Posts
Not sure what was going on, they would either spit the lure or they would just come off. They just weren't sucking the bait in I guess, just short striking the lures.
Same thing happened to us Saturday in the scummy water on the GMR (we didn't really notice any algae problem until we floated passed Loramie Creek). We also had a lot of fish jumping into and over the boat. Has to be a connection to the algae bloom and the resulting clarity issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts