close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMR Report 6-17-08

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by SConner, Jun 17, 2008.

1. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Went out tonight not expecting much with water high and murky. Water level was borderline for wading. Started off using a Rebel craw and caught a little largemouth 2nd cast, followed by 2 medium size saugeye. After a while I switched to Rapala husky jerk and managed another saugeye. As sun started going down I switched to Bomber 4F and caught 2 real nice smallmouth. One is my personal best at 19". These are the first decent smallmouth I have caught this year!!!

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=36245&cat=all&limit=last1

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=36243&cat=all&limit=last1

2. midoh39

midoh39 member

honestly you really have to stop it and save some fish for everyone else..jk I really need to hit the river more

3. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

thats a smallmouth bass! awesome fish:)

4. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Midoh - I put them all back for you!

5. midoh39

midoh39 member

o thank god!!! its been kinda rough this year as far as big fish for me

6. Great looking smallie, congrats on the PB. How do you usually do on those husky jerks?? I`m partial to tubes myself, but I`ve been wanting to try some different baits ( tubes are super productive, but can be extremely methodical to fish at times). Do those husky jerks suspend, how do you like to fish them? Any info would be appreciated.

7. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

Congrats, those are nice.:B

8. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

River Rat - I have done real well with husky jerk catching saugeye and spring smallies when water is still cold. It is a suspending lure and I fish it slow, slow, slow with stop and go. The smallmouth caught tonight were on Bomber 4F in craw pattern.

9. very very nice. i hit the gmr today also. the bite was turned off til i threw a coffee tube out..every single cast was a strike.i think i ended up with 6 smallies. a few spots, a largemouth ,and an 11 inch crappie

10. Holy cow! You've been on a roll lately. If that's the same area where you found that saugeye, I'm simply amazed. I've been fishing there all my life but I usually get skunked. It's the most heavily fish area, so I generally go elsewhere.

11. Fished Twin Creek last Night near Franklin. Only had 1 -16" smallie, on a white grub w/ a twister tail. Water was cloudy, cool, and running a bit fast.

I see that a lot of post say that tubes work great and catch a lot of fish on them. I have not had any luck at all with tubes.

What way or is a good way to fish them in the creeks and rivers?

12. He's definately on a roll. Half way to a Ohio Master Angler award in that spot nonetheless. And I agree, while I've caught many a smallie there and a few saugeye over the years, nothing like that. Usually just snags and dinks.

13. CO_Trout .... tubes are my go to presentation in the GMR. Almost all my "big" smallies over the years have come on tubes. I simply free run a bullet weight above the hook. Size depends on current as I prefer to keep my tube on the bottom and in a spot. I'll tie a 2/0 hook to the line and rig up a 3.5" roadkill colored (dark green) tube to the hook. I cast to a spot, you know traditional smallmouth hangouts. Get it on the bottom. And fish it slow and patiently. Nothing there then I move on.

14. Thanks for the tips. will try this next time out.