GMR Report 5-7-08

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TomC, May 7, 2008.

1. Went to the river with a buddy today. We caught 15 smallies all in the 1lb range nothing spectacular. Also caught 7 crappie we kept 5 all being between 9"-12". The notables of the day were the rock bass we had one go 9 1/2inches and the other went 9". We had a total of 5 that we kept. All were on minnows around 2-5ft deep. The crappie were hitting hair jigs tipped with minnows. Fished from 11:00-4:00. Water was still a little higher than normal and the clarity was clear. Water temp somewhere in the 50-60 range and didnt feel bad wading.

2. It must be the year of the Rockbass. I think I have caught more in the last two weeks than I caught in the last ten years. Like Tom said, big ones. In the last couple days I have caught some that have all black fins and alot of balck in their body. Does this indicate spawning? Some are very black some have none.The LMR is absolutely loaded with them in any slack water you find next to current.

3. they are getting ready to spawn.

4. Where were you fishing on the GMR?

5. Yep many of the rockbass that I have caught lately have also been black

6. Tipp City and Troy area. They were hitting in the current and in the slack water.